Headache/Migraine help

Does anyone know of a migraine/headache medicine that works? I was told that I can’t use anything with a triptan, including Relpax, which was the only thing that worked on my migraines. I also can’t use anything containing aspirin.

I’m currently on a prescription for Fioricet, which makes me tired but doesn’t really do anything for the migraines.

Does anything at all help? Medicine? Acupuncture? Yoga?

Oh my gosh I soooo relate. I was put on Topomax and it made me so dopey I stopped. I do yoga daily and meditation. I am actually a nurse but also being mentored to teach yoga as I would love to bring the benefits to other migraine sufferers. THere are certain poses that really help. I am not sure where you live but if you get to a yoga studio look for restorative poses. My teacher is awesome and she also does Trager work…its a “body” work that is relaxing…helps me too although I believe it is for Parkinson as well as MS…it helps me. Medicine did nothing but put me to sleep and although I am a nurse I so believe in alternative things also. I will try to find a website and let you know where you can go to do certain positions to help…or I can ask my teacher to recommend a good video (hey if you are like me money is tight) If you have a good health food store who sells essential oils they help also. I use any for anxiety (good for central nervous system). Young Living oils is a brand I believe you can get online…there is one called M-Graine for migraine which you place a drop on your temples and that also helps… Let me know how else I can help! xoxo Mare

Thanks, Mare! That definitely helps. I live in Cleveland, which is a big city with a lot of resources, so I have access to everything except for good weather.

There’s a health food store right by my house and there are yoga studios nearby. Money is a bit tight, though, which is why I’m a bit apprehensive about acupuncture. I know that you have to go often for it to actually work, and that’s quite pricey. I’ll do it if it will work, though.

Specific yoga poses, DVD titles, or any other info that you have to offer are greatly appreciated. The way I see it, it couldn’t hurt to try.

Thanks so much! Take care.

Mare said:

Oh my gosh I soooo relate. I was put on Topomax and it made me so dopey I stopped. I do yoga daily and meditation. I am actually a nurse but also being mentored to teach yoga as I would love to bring the benefits to other migraine sufferers. THere are certain poses that really help. I am not sure where you live but if you get to a yoga studio look for restorative poses. My teacher is awesome and she also does Trager work…its a “body” work that is relaxing…helps me too although I believe it is for Parkinson as well as MS…it helps me. Medicine did nothing but put me to sleep and although I am a nurse I so believe in alternative things also. I will try to find a website and let you know where you can go to do certain positions to help…or I can ask my teacher to recommend a good video (hey if you are like me money is tight) If you have a good health food store who sells essential oils they help also. I use any for anxiety (good for central nervous system). Young Living oils is a brand I believe you can get online…there is one called M-Graine for migraine which you place a drop on your temples and that also helps… Let me know how else I can help! xoxo Mare

Shana: I will get a link for you for some postures. I don’ pay for yoga…what you can do is called karma yoga…if you help out and register most (all of them I know of) of them give you free classes; I know they can be pricey…just ask or if you go to the studio’s website they will ask for karma yogis! Give it a try…it helps…I havenot done accupressure as my bills are high enough now and unfortunately not covered; however a friend of mine just told me that she knows of a medical doctor who does it and so it would be covered under insurance…just a round about way… How are you feeling now? Headaches stink don’t they :frowning: I have them daily xoxo Mare

Hi, Mare! Thanks for your help! I will definitely look into karma yoga. I’ve never heard of it, but it certainly sounds promising.

I get headaches about four to six days a week, but I’m getting better at recognizing them before they hit me, so the Fioricet is working better now. Any relief is great, but I still think that some sort of yoga or meditation would help a lot. I’m also having a problem sleeping. I wake up around 4:30, think about the time bomb in my head, fall asleep about an hour later, then sleep for an hour before I have to get up and go to work. Not good! I need to chill out.

I’m going in for my (first) angiogram and MRI on December 14. We’ll see what the neurosurgeon recommends then. He usually goes with Gamma Knife. That kind of waiting (2-3 years) might make me go crazy, though! We’ll see!

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Mare said:

Shana: I will get a link for you for some postures. I don’ pay for yoga…what you can do is called karma yoga…if you help out and register most (all of them I know of) of them give you free classes; I know they can be pricey…just ask or if you go to the studio’s website they will ask for karma yogis! Give it a try…it helps…I havenot done accupressure as my bills are high enough now and unfortunately not covered; however a friend of mine just told me that she knows of a medical doctor who does it and so it would be covered under insurance…just a round about way… How are you feeling now? Headaches stink don’t they :frowning: I have them daily xoxo Mare