Has anyone used Delta 8 cbd/thc for pain management after embolization?

I don’t smoke and I know it wouldn’t be advised in the first place since smoking can cause more problems with AVMs but I was recommended something called Delta 8 which I guess is a cannabinoid with very little THC in it and it’s supposed to be extremely helpful for pain especially after surgeries. I was wondering if anyone has tried something like this or cbd/thc in general after having embolization and did it help at all/ cause a bad reaction. I read somewhere that with some surgeries it can be dangerous to smoke anything like that afterwards because apparently it might cause an infection or something. I feel uncomfortable bringing this topic up to my doctor so I wanted to get some outside insight first. Also I would only be using it to manage pain during the first 4 or 5 days after surgery because that’s when my pain is the most extreme. I normally have a hard time taking any of the pain medication they prescribe me because if I don’t take it with food I get sick and I can’t keep any food down because I’m already nauseous from the anesthesia.

1 Like

Hey Moonglow,

Yes, I have and still do.
I did not have an embolization, but I had a craniotomy.
Cannabis, the plant contains a number of differing cannabinoids. 2 of the primary cannabinoids are THC and CBD. The THC is the intoxicant, the part that gives the ‘stoned’ effect, where CBD has minimal psychoactive effect but has other benefits such as an anti inflammatory. Here’s a bit of a list I found of some of the CBD benefits:
Relieves arthritis pain
Relieves chronic pain
Reduces chronic nerve pain
Reduces inflammation
Reduces muscle spasms and other MS symptoms
Reduces chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting for cancer patients
May slow cancer cell growth
Relieves anxiety and depression
Relieves insomnia and improves sleep
Helps treat acne and psoriasis

For me, cannabis is not so much ‘a painkiller’ as some profess it to be, but what it does do is diverts my mind from the constant, mind bending pain. It seems for me that my mind helps almost feed the pain. That constant thinking of pain keeps it at the forefront of my mind and reinforces the agony. I consider cannabis to be one of my ‘management tools’ and it assists me in reducing/cutting back on the pharma concoctions/opiates. Please, don’t get me wrong here, I haven’t eliminated the pharmas from my diet, but certainly reduced.

Medically speaking smoking is now considered a big No, No. Burning releases all sorts of nasties and inhalation of these burnt substances is not good for our health. But there is a process known as ‘vaporization’ where the green vegetable material is heated, but not burnt with a naked flame. This releases the cannabinoids with out the nasties released by ignition. It was recommended by my prescribing cannabis Dr that I purchase a temperature controlled vaporiser, which I have done. As I stated earlier "…the plant contains a number of differing cannabinoids…’ and those cannabinoids evaporate at differing temps. By varying those temperatures you can release the cannabinoids for your specific needs without all of the burnt nasties.

One of the HUGE benefits to me has been my diet. When I’m in pain one of the last things I want is food. Cannabis gives me ‘The munchies’ and I must eat.

By no means am I saying ‘You must…’, for some people the effect can simply be TOO much, but for me, the benefits have far outweighed the negative.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

2 Likes

Moonglow,
Seenie here from Modsupport: I am one of the other people on the Moderator Support team with Merl. Listen to him! There’s nobody on our network who has more experience with brain surgery and more knowledge about living/coping with life-changing medical events. (His experience in this area is nothing short of amazing. Like I say, listen to Merl!)

I do want to add, however, that you need to consider a couple of other things which may be relevant in your situation:

1. The legality of cannabis use in Tennessee. We can’t counsel you to use a substance that’s illegal.
  2. The effect that a cannabinoid might have on your AVM. This seems to be an area of continuing research.
  3. Your doctors must know about everything you take. Don’t be shy about this: whatever you are taking or contemplating is unlikely to shock any doctor! The reason, of course, is your own wellbeing and your optimal recovery.
  4. Discuss your reservations and questions about pain control with your anesthesiologist. They are trained in pain control as well as in “knocking you out” for surgery, and if you’re straight up with them about your pain control needs and what’s happened to you before, they will know what to do. I did this for my last surgery, and I’ve never had such a comfortable post-op period.

All of us here, members, moderators and administrators, are rare disease patients. I’m not an AVM patient, but the condition I have has “gifted” :face_with_hand_over_mouth: me with many surgical experiences. Before my most recent surgery, I had a long talk with my anaesthesiologist about nausea after surgery, and pain control. On the basis of our discussion, I got the best pain control I’ve ever had following surgery, and I had none of the nausea which I am prone to suffer.

Please make sure you have this discussion with your medical team: you will be the winner! And good luck. When is “the main event” scheduled to happen?

All the best to you

Seenie

1 Like

I am recovering from a spinal AVM and medical marijuana has been a godsend. I use the drops and a topical both of which include CBD and THC. What I have found is using what they call a 1:1 ratio in both eliminates any kind of high. Basically it is equal amounts of indica which makes you sleepy and sativa which makes you high. As a result, I get some relief with NO side effects at all. If it is legal where you live, you may want to check it out.

1 Like

Ummm, I’d just like to clarify here, the 1:1 ratio is not indica vs sativa ratio but rather a ratio of just 2, THC:CBD, of the many differing cannabinoids or active components within the cannabis flower. Each strain has it’s own ratio, for example 2 medically prescribed strains I utilize have ratios of 25:1 and 10:12.

When the genetics of the two, indica and sativa, are crossed they are considered as ‘hybrids’, but it is not the measure of each strain expressed as the ratio but the ratio of the 2 predominant cannabinoids. Although the ratio does measure THC vs CBD there is a whole plethora of other cannabinoids contained within the cannabis plant which are not listed via this ratio. Each of these cannabinoids can have a medicinal benefit for some people. But again this is something that must be discussed with your treating doctors

Merl from the Modsupport Team

I wouldn’t think about getting high
We have enough problems already with the disease why put more chemicals in your brain