Has anyone successfully gotten off of medication after surgery?

Hi all, It's been almost 4 years since my CM surgery. I've been on Keppra since then, and I'm hoping to get off of it. I had only had a few seizures, but it was when my Cavernous Malformation was causing trouble. I'm thinking that surgery did the trick, but my doc is suggesting that I stay on the Keppra forever, just as a precaution.

I'd really like to be medicine free, and I'm hoping to hear of some of you that have had success doing this.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks~

George, I’m a glass half full kind of guy, but I would get your doc’s buy in first. I never had any seizures, including after having a stroke thanks to my ruptured AVM. I went a year on Keppra, and got my doc’s consent. He cautioned against it, but I was determined to try so he relented. He weened me off slowly, reducing the dosage over several months. I was off Keppra for a day when I had a gran mal seizure. I went back on Keppra and have been seizure free ever since.

Apparently, my brain was damaged thanks to the stroke. Yours may have been impacted thanks to the operation.

I lost driving privileges for 6 months, so you may want to consider the impact that would have as well. I wish you all the best!

Hi Tim, That's good feedback, and I'll definitely bring it up when I discuss this again with my Doc. I really appreciate it!