Hard work is such hard work

I’m still going to the gym, and at the moment I am doing a lot of work on my legs both with machines and floor work, I have seen a little improvement, actually, so I guess is the pain is worth it, the hardest thing though is the day after, in the morning I can hardly move! Rosie has also given me exercises to do at home to help improve things as well, so I can start doing those while I am not at the gym, so hopefully things are improving.
The other thing is that I’ve also changed my medication, to help control spasms in my right leg and clonus in the my left foot(not good as I drive using my left foot), I have been on Baclofen 20mg 4 times a day, and I am now going onto Gabapentin up to 200mg 3 times a day. I’ve given myself at least 6 months on the new drug, if that doesn’t help, I’ll have to get myself re-assessed for hand controls.

You are correct…HARD WORK is just that and you should be so very proud of all of your efforts . Good luck with the Gabapentin , seems a good fit for the leg issues . Be good to you . Take care of you .

Shane, when I first started rehab I was about 2 weeks post-op. I couldn’t even hold my head up, let alone walk. The therapists would help me to my wheel chair and we’d wheel down to the gym where they would stand me up and we’d do simple exercises. I remember being so sore in the days after. I’d have to have drugs to ease the pain a little. Of course, pain is a good thing, it means your muscles are moving again. I was in rehab for about 4 weeks and by the time I left I could walk, but still could not sit or stand without help. Stairs were impossible without help as were things like bathing or holding my children. Now, after a year and a half, I’m more physically fit than I’ve ever been in my life. I walk for an hour each day, do an hour of yoga each day, and do strength training or cardio every other day. I feel fantastic! Keep working, no matter how hard it gets, it will pay off in the end, I assure you. Good luck with the new meds also.

1 Like

Hi Shane! Well said, hard work is such hard work. Another thought for the future is botox injections in the spastic muscles. I had a hard time working out because the tightness both during and after. It cost me a lot (not covered on my insurance until this april) but was such a blessing for me! For me, it would ‘turn off’ the spasticity for 3-4 mths and I could work out/exercise as much as I wanted. I used multiple therapies, so it was part of what helped to improve the tightness improved over time. For right now, you’ll find it helpful to do lots of stretching before AND after exercise to help and to increase intensity/reps very, (achingly) slowly helped to get me through. I’ve also been taking magnesium supplements for the last 9 months which helps me since it’s a natural muscle relaxer and healthy in many ways (including reducing headaches). I stopped taking botox since april of this yr (didn’t need it much anymore),and although I’ve noticed some tightness as the weather gets colder, I find taking 300 magnesium before bed helps reduce it. Anyway, just some thoughts. I found it really frustrating when I was where you are now, so many people gripe about working out and I was so frustrated that the tightness made it so hard to be active. You’re on the right track, keep up the good, hard work! If you can try the botox, I highly recommend it esp if the tightness causes spasms.

Hi Shane,

Good to hear that you see improvement. With time, the exercises won’t make you as sore. Hope this week brings even more progress.

Take care,

Debbie