Happening all so fast

I went to my follow up appointment for my second embolization today. Thankfully the embolization recovery went much better than the prior, but the neurologist still had much to discuss with me. Basically my AVM is close to the surface of my brain, with no functioning brain parts within. During this embolization the surgeons attempted to go through a new artery supplying the AVM, but unfortunately it also supplied functional parts of the brain, leaving it unsafe to inject the glue. So my team of neurosurgeons have determined that they will not be able to cure my AVM with anymore embolizations. I had been told that there was a high possibility this would happen, so I was prepared to hear this. The shock came when they told me that I could meet with my actual surgeon in about 2 weeks to discuss the surgery, and then they would perform the surgery at the end of October. The end of October! A mere month away! Both my parents and myself were shocked. I told my doctor that this was impossible as I am in my first year of University and there was no way that I would be able to miss any school. So far it is sounding like I may be getting my surgery over the holidays. Merry Christmas!

Hi Becky. I am so sorry to hear you will need surgery, but please make getting better your first priority! I know you will be fine. Good luck to you from the bottom of my heart.

Becky,

Don’t worry about delaying your surgery - you can always get a new brain ;’( You really need to listen to your doctors - this is what they are good at. The school will still be there after your surgery. It’s not going anywhere.

HI BECKY, I AGREE WITH THE OTHER’S TAKE CARE OF YOU FIRST SCHOOL WILL BE THERE, ALSO IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR U TO WITHDRAWL BEFORE YOU GO IN THAT WAY IT WANT HURT YOUR GPA. I WAS IN SCHOOL WHEN I HAD MY BLEED AND ALMOST TIME FOR FINIAL’S BUT THEY DIDNT HOLD IT AGAINST ME, CANT WAIT TO GET BACK WILL BE READY TO GO BACK IN JAN. SO TAKE CARE OF YOU FIRST GOD BLESS AND WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAY’S WE WILL HEAR FROM YOU BEFORE XMAS

Hi ,
I just joined the site and I am trying to find friends people who understand anyway I came across your page. I feel for you. I was once in your same position I thought school was more way more imortant, doing everything I always imaged to do but you need to put it on hold. Take care of yourself now while your still young and have the time. Trust me.I give you all my love and you are in my prayers.

Thank you everyone for your input. It turns out I probably won’t be able to get my craniotomy during the Christmas holidays because I don’t have enough recovery time. As much as both my parents and I want to get rid of this AVM, we’ve invested a lot into this school year. Since the doctors were able to wait 9 months in between my two embolizations, we are thinking there is no reason why we can’t wait. I appreciate all of your thoughts and I will update once I hear back for my official date. I need to meet with my actual surgeon to talk thoroughly about the craniotomy and then see a team from Toronto regarding a possibility of Gamma Knife. Thank you again for your comments!