GP concerns...maybe

I was visiting my GP last week and he's a new doc for me and I think he might just be new in general. So I was giving him some of my medical history and told him my stroke was caused by a ruptured AVM. He then asked me about my kidneys. So I just stared at him looking dumb. I asked him why he was concerned about my kidneys and he said there's a history of AVMs coinciding with kidney problems. I don't get this and have never heard of it outside of renal AVMs. I Googled it and there's nothing on it. I have no kidney problems (I could probably drink more water though). Two questions:
Has anyone else heard of any sort of connection between kidney problems and AVMs outside of renal AVMs?
And, should I be concerned about my doctor? Maybe I should find a new one because that made me question his education (lol).

Kirsti...I have to say I'm sorry....I've been to doctors who don't even know what an AVM is and I have a feeling your doctor is the same. From what I know...having a brain AVM has nothing to do with your kidney.

Like you, I take my records to help them...but I've had experiences where they don't even look at my records... So, I'm sorry is all I can say...and perhaps you should find another doctor.

Well that is a stumper, Kristi. I'm thinking the GP got a bit scrambled and either combined two different med school lessons or forgot one of them. Juvenile polyposis is connected with HHT, but that affects the GI tract, not the kidneys. I supposed someone could have kidney issues from too much exposure to contrast fluid, but even then the kidney issues would be primary and not related to AVMs. Renal avms have been so rare on this website as to be almost unheard of, though there may be some in the HHT community who have them.

Your doctor may be very good in other respects, but I'm not seeing his logic on this particular topic.

Kristi,

If I were you I'd be interested enough to ask where he got his information about kidney problems being related to AVMs. If he can name studies or send you to websites, you can look them up and read about it on your own.

If it turns out he can't name any sources or give you any information about where he came up with the idea that the two are related, it may be time to find a doctor who's more familiar with your particular health issues.

I certainly wouldn't want a GP who was completely unfamiliar with the signs and symptoms of complications from AVMs.

Hey, kristi, here is another possibility your doc may have been thinking of:

Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD)
This is one of the more common heritable tissue disorders (1 in 400 to 1,000 persons). The characteristics of this disease include: enlarged kidneys, cysts in the kidneys, liver, pancreas, and spleen, cobweb-like cysts in the brain, and hernias in the groin (a vessel bulging out of the skin usually painfully). The formation of the cysts, little sacs of fluid attached to an organ, results from a genetic mutation causing abnormal cell growth and fluid secretion. Hypertension is a complication found in 75% of ADPKD patients, contributing to aneurysm formation and subarachnoid aneurismal hemorrhage in those patients.

Many studies indicate a likelihood of a relationship between ADPKD and brain aneurysms. Estimates of the frequency of aneurysms in ADPKD patients range from 10% to 41%. Brain aneurysms have been reported in 25% of ADPKD patients and are the cause of death in 20%. Family history is an increasingly recognized risk factor for brain aneurysm and SAH with ADPKD patients; about 18% to 22% of ADPKD patients with an aneurysm have a positive family history for aneurysms.

Hi All
When I Have Been Taken To A&E I Find It So Frustrating That The A&E Staff Don’t No What A AVM Is.
So My Daughter Has Set Me Up A Folder With My Medical History And Pictures Of A AVM Which Explains What A AVM Is. Back To You Question Kirsti I Also Have Looked This Up And Cant Found Any Information About A Brain AVM Having Anything To Do With Our Kidneys.