Got my driver’s license renewed after 4 years of not driving

Some good news, although might be silly but it was HUGE for me. My dmv renewed my driver’s license despite being handicap due to all the damage my annoying AVM left behind before it’s death. I was so nervous they were going to take one look at me and say no. I did end up with the restrictions of having to have driving adaptments, no standard vehicle, and wear my glasses while driving but totally ok with that!! It is huge for me because it makes me feel like I’m slowly going back to my normal life after my AVM burst for the last time, in its failed attempt to try to kill me, about 4 years ago. So one win for me :raised_hands:t3:

12 Likes

That is great news! Take Care, John.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

I think we all recognise the impact that having a driving licence or not having a driving licence brings. Well done you!

1 Like

congrats! 5 years since they took away mine after my rupture… miss my independence!

1 Like

Very good news

1 Like

Oh Mike, as do I!! That’s why this was a major win!! The didn’t revoke mine (luckily) just no one has wanted me to drive. Husband, dad, my family, and friends. Not many were happy that I got it renewed but I just told them relax I need to get a vehicle next since they sold mine after the stroke and no one lends me theirs :roll_eyes: so I totally feel you about having your independence robbed

1 Like

Exactly!! Normally it would be a meh thing but to us with this medical nightmare it’s a BIG thing.

Thank you everyone!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I should clarify…DMV didn’t revoke mine…wife and daughter did when they promised my neurologist they wouldn’t let me drive and sold my car and motorcycle; in exchange my neurologist agreed to not report me to the DMV and have my license revoked… still miss my independence…terribly!

2 Likes

Thats great! Glad they gave it to you. It gives you a sense of independence and a bit of normality.

2 Likes

Same here Mike. My license wasn’t revoked and my neuro team didn’t report me either. It was all my husband not letting me do it. So my family and him got together and sold my car. But now Im saving up for one and I went and told them all it’s all upto the dmv and well yeah big win for me HA! All I want is my independence back. I don’t think they’ll ever understand unless they take a walk in our shoes… which they never could since we were born this way :confused:

2 Likes

(and we wouldn’t wish it on them, either).

:heart:

1 Like

Thank you. That gives me so much hope and has just made my life easier. Best of luck.

2 Likes

Correct my friend, not even on people I don’t like. Never ever would I wish this on anyone.

2 Likes

The sky’s the limit :slight_smile: you got this!! :+1:t3:

1 Like

So how did you go about attaining your restricted license?

This is great news and I can relate to the feeling of finally getting back behind the wheel after the AVM is dead… God bless!

I just want to be one of the many AVM-ers to congratulate you on getting your license back! Let’s all keep celebrating every positive step forward no matter how large or small.

Way to go Teiry***

Sharon D…

2 Likes

Thank you Sharon :slight_smile: