Going back to school help

so i had my stroke avm removed almost a year ago. so if im not at thearpjy im just sitting around the house watching tv. while some people might enjoy this i dont. i have an a.a degree already so im thinking about going back to finish up. just wanted some ideas on what type of degree i should look into getting. here is the problem the left arm and hand isnt working right now. im thinking information technology . i know i shouldnt limit myself but it is the realitly of right now . so i want to know what kinds of jobs would i be able to do? i can get around pretty good its jut my left arm and hand. please help thank you. i dont want to get ssd for the rest of my life

BLewis, you may wish to friend Matt: http://www.avmsurvivors.org/profile/MattGdfyHankey

He is working on getting mobility in his left arm and hand, too. Perhaps you can motivate each other.

With voice recognition software, you can do a lot of jobs -- lawyer, accountant, psychologist, teacher, or IT, as you said. Jobs that use mind more than muscle. But keep working on that left arm. Here are some suggestions:

You should be able to do what you wanted to do before. Schools are usually very accommodating. If anything, just try a few classes at first and see how you feel. I feel like in IT, you should be able to do the work with a word recognition program.


Our son, age 28, has an IT degree, along with finance and accounting. He's working for a hospital group now, and I would not want to trade jobs with him. He puts in 70 or so hours a week, and is on call almost all the time. In his job, he doesn't do that much typing, but a lot of coordination with suppliers on software development. His job is very stressful, what with obamacare and hospital mergers (lot of hospitals don't have the IT resources to develop their own, so they merge, and guys like my son have to help integrate their software into the mother ship's software.

Not all IT jobs would be that stressful, and I can think of supporting a library or school system might be less stressful at times.

I don't want ot curb your desire, but if you go this route, you should talk with some guys in that field to really know what you are getting into.

Best wishes,
Ron, KS

& my brother got an IT degree & loves it.

I went shopping yesterday and while checking out, I saw a man who had had a stroke. His right side showed the disabilities of a stroke. I noticed he was very good and friendly and did a "fine job". They were lucky to have him as an employee. We must look at the positives of our life and how we can use them. God Bless, Maria

Go to school and get a degree. Speak to a special needs counselor at the school site. They will inform you of all the help that you may be able to get while you are in school. They may even orient you as to what profession you may go into. Sk your therapist to guide you and get information for you. Your Doctor may even refer you to a social worker to get you started in school.