Gamma Knift/ Proton Beam

My daughter had an AVM the size of her cerebellum which blew into her brainstem, it is inoperable due to the size and location. She had proton beam radiation in Jan 2012…they fitted a helmet/halo to her for the procedure only…she has had numerour MRI’s since then to check the progress and the lmost recent one in August 2014 shows a 40% reduction in size

Ps. No loss of hair and no issues

I had stereotactic radiosurgery, also known as gamma knife surgery back in February 2010. I experienced no pain during the procedure itself and no hair loss after. Pain with the halo fitting though! I made a vlog about my day. You might find it helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeL0VznAi-c

Dear concerned parent. I was treated with proton beam in 1984 when the treatment was in experimental phase, I was 9 years old at that time. In 2004 I received another proton beam treatment and thank God I am fine. My AVM is the basal ganglia. I did not lose my hair. Treatment today is much better, I´m sure your daughter will be fine. I will pray for her. Please send me a message if you have any questions, I will be happy to help. God bless you.

I had gamma knife several years ago it was an amazingly easy outpatient procedure arrived very early am had IV access started got versed( awake sedation med) the halo was put on ( no pain) then had ct scan waited for team to complete treatment plan and then gamma knife the treatment team talked to me during procedure but the versed made me doze during radiation . I did not lose any hair at all, I was treated at UAB Birmingham Al.