Gamma Knife

Following surgery, is there and thing I need to know?

I haven’t had gamma knife. With any surgery you and your family are your best advocates. I would like to suggest you bombard the Dr or his nurse with questions. I’d be curious to know about necrosis. I’ve heard it mentioned on this site and don’t really know much about it. Have you already had surgery?

I've had 4 rounds of Gamma Knife. I typically end up with a migraine for a few days. Lack of sleep, no breakfast or lunch, and no coffee or water tends to do that to me. I've lost hair twice.

I'm a teacher, so I've been able to schedule all of mine during school breaks, and I can relax for a few days afterwards.

The first and fourth times, I also had an angiogram on the day of the treatment. Those take a little more recovery time than GK by itself.

I've had GammaKnife done once. I ended up having double vision for a few weeks (probably because my AVM rupture was in my occipital lobe. I also had some sharp head pains continuously for a bout a week or so. I did not return to work until ten weeks after my procedure.
What I am learning here is that every AVM is different and how we react to GammaKnife is different as well.

Andy, I wish you the best of luck. If you have any questions or would like to talk, don't hesitate.

Hi andy, i had 2 gk treatments within 6 weeks of each other earlier this year. I was generally fine but struggled for the first week with extreme fatigue so make sure you clear your diary and rest as much as you can. I had a couple of nights of nightmares and hallucinations which was weird but that may well have been caused by anxiety. I was told i would definately lose some hair but i never did. depending on the location of your avm you may have to stop driving for 4 weeks after the treatment.

i had 2 GK doses. The day is a long one, placing the bolts is the worst bit. They have to do the angio to show exactly where the bleed is and u the puncture in the groin can be a pain, but the actual GK is a breeze.

Post, i had no problems at all, straight back to work the next day.