Gamma Knife Side effect

not sure since it has been a few months, i will look back at my paperwork and see if it says…i do remember that dr. said my avm was not that big but it was in a tight location; hard to get to…

Thanks reply Jim
All my hair fell out from my first embo ! didn’t have that much to loose anyway lol.Its been about 3 months so far and to date I have only had small head aches.Keeping my fingers crossed cya Gordon

I would say it like this if you have been having problems with your AVM(all the odd stuff that goes on) the side effects for gamma knife are nothing compaired to open brain and way better then waiting for a major bleed.

Gamma knife side effects first off good question.
I hope this does not scare any one from getting gamma knife. My doctor said it would hurt less then going to get my teeth worked on. I think he left some stuff out of that statment lol like with out pain killer.

Second my brain was still swollen from TBI from a car wreak. So that said my side effects are from TBI AVM and gammaknife.

The side effects I had: 1 hr after gamma knife I passed out/ seizure for like 1 min (my first one was not fun) I throw up for like 1 hr. felt sick for like 2 mouths flu like feeling. My memory was shoot I had about 30 glasses of water all over my house it was funny. I did not let my self drive any where for 6 mouths (saved my DL from being pulled). Lost the left side of my left eyes vision for 2 weeks.
The odd one I had was littel small blissters on my feet about a week after and then my feet pealed for like a year then stopped one day. A friend of mine that over sees nucular power plants said it was low level ration posioning when he saw pictuers of my feet and legs. he belived it was from heavey metal build up for all the car work I had done and the radiation attached it self to it.

Daniel
Like I said early all I have had so far is some small head aches behind my right eye. But the biggest thing I heard you say is the feeling like you had the Flu .I had the same feeling, sometimes for a week at a time, usually after I lifted something ,over all it lasted about 4 months . I have never heard anyone else say that flu like feeling on here.Now here where it gets weird two weeks before I whent for my Gamma knife and my last embo my GP but me on ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day after two days on the antiboitic I could lift any thing I wanted and would not get that flu feeling that had come on real fast before, I have never had the feeling again . I told my neurologist and he just shock his head . I read about some test study going on with antiboitic and veins and rats now I lost where I was reading it lol oh well Talk at you later Gordon

my wife had her GK last May and after 3months she started to get side effects of tingling right hand and arm then up the neck, 6000mg Keppra was not working,so Vimpat 100mg changed but the dosage was too low and she got a seizure.
Has anyone been stable with medications to keep the seizures away?

It has been 10 years now since I had GK and because of either the AVM or, I suspect more likely, the GK treatment, I have read and concluded myself that my headaches, epilepsy, memory, balance, and lots of other things, are from the GK affecting the surrounding area, scarring the healthy brain around the AVM site.
A few months after the GK my Epilepsy got a lot worse and my meds were increased after every siezure, am now on 500mg Lamical and 1000mg Keppra a day. (Still have the ocassional Simple Partial seizure but get used to it)
Now hopefully my Epilepsy is under control but still have all the other problems.
If the AVM could have been fixed surgically think I would have less after effects? but was too deep so needed the GK So will have to live with what I have, could be a lot worse.

Kevin, thanks for the info. When our doctor changed my wife's meds because the 6000mg twice a day was not working due to tingling in her right hand and arms,then later heavy right chest discomfort. We started on Vimpat and slowly weaning off Keppra. well, when my wife started on Vimpat only for one day she had a different seizure. Her right side of her mouth started to distort uncontrollably and then went down to her right hand, It started to curb like a real stroke. It lasted for about 10-15 mins.
What does everyone do when they have these seizure(side effects)? Do you call 911 or just ride it out until it goes away? I figure as long as you can mentally think straight, it's not a bleed and just a side effect and not to panic over it.
3 months after having GK she started with the tingling.Now the tingling turned into a more like stroke event.

Hello Leslie,
I am new to the site and I was reading some of the old stuff and I came across and could not get over how similar our out comes are. I to have the same problems with the cognitive, not finding the right word and spelling.. I am so thankful for spell check lol. I also have weakness on my right side if over use. I was just wondering where your AVM was? Thank you for your post!
Take care,
Katrina

9 years since my GK treatment. Worked great until 2011. Radiation Necrosis is the final diagnosis and I had to have the AVM removed surgically just 4 weeks ago. Serious head pain, trouble walking, losing feeling on my entire left side, seizure type activity.

Not to scare you in any way.

Get regular check ups (MRI's) talk to your doctor about getting one probably every year. If you start to have any numbness or issues you're not sure about, contact the doctors. I waited too long on some symptoms and might have some permanent damage.

Last MRI in 2005 showed great results and no other issues with AVM or GK treatment, but it the Radiation Necrosis slowly crept up on me.

Not everyone has this reaction to the GK treatments.

Wishing you well. Let me know if you need any further information.

So I have to ask Gordon how are you doing?
I had my brain bleed in 2013 April 25 th . Embolization 26th th.
The Gamma Knife has really messed with me .
I had that on September 30,2013.
Headaches are always there now and when I bend my head down they get worse. Just like you had very dizzy at times. I was very curious how you feel today since several years have passed .
Thanks
Niyani

Have you heard about proton radiation? That’s what my son’s neurosurgeon is recommending at loma linda hospital.