Gamma knife second round

Hello everyone, I’m sorry if I’m using the wrong category. I am scheduled for my second round of gamma knife in a week. My first round was 3 months ago. I would like to hear from anyone else and what complications they may have experienced because I am scared

@Kricha

How did your first round go?

There are sometimes complications from gamma knife (but I’m not sure why you want us to lay them out for you!) I don’t think you should expect to get all of the complications.

It seems to be quite common to get a bit of brain swelling at about six months post zap but that is a treatable/manageable thing.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you and hope you have a good week.

Richard

1 Like

Hi @Kricha. Sorry for the trouble you’re having. I’ve had gamma knife three times, (2000, 2003, 2011). I’ve had a craniotomy in 2010. I had a scare in 2020 after an angiogram with a possible AVM (4th AVM). Thankfully it was not after angiogram. But it brought to mind the fact that this is my fight and so I’m going to fight like crazy to bring up awareness until I’m gone! Hoping your trials go well and you come out clean and clear on the other side AVM free.

Hi Kricha, I certainly understand being scared. I had had one round of gamma knife, and while I was happy it was happening, I was certainly fearful of how the procedure would go, and the outcome. You know the procedure, so there won’t be ay surprises for you on that front. I had minor complications from my treatment, some swelling around the 6. month mark and some “ice pick” headaches. Both resolved without any intervention.

I received my treatment in November 2016, and have now side effects. I have a couple from the bleed, but minor compared to shortly after the bleed. If I had the choice back, I would do it exactly the same. I look forward to hearing how the day was and know it will go well. It will be nice to have it behind you. Take Care, John.