Frustrated

I am so frustrated with my Daddy. My Mother passed away June 10, 2010. He has went down hill ever since. He has Sweet's Syndrome which is extremely rare. It makes him very sick. He has to stay on steroids all the time which makes his diabetes terrible. He has COPD and continues to smoke. I have finally convinced him that he can't drive himself because he constantly falls asleep. He falls asleep talking to you. I wish I could put some video clips of him asleep in his chair with cigarette burns all over the floor and couch. The house looks like something you would see on Hoarders. There is trash and dog poop everywhere. My Aunt and myself have tried to clean the kitchen and fold clothes but if you don't go everyday it is right back how it was before we ever touched it. I stay tired and I am an only child. I have 2 children of my own and I am married. I work a full time job that I have to go to. I am not sure what the future holds for me. I can't afford to use FLMA up or my PTO. I have my own house that I have to keep clean. I can't take care of him and live my own life. My Uncle John, who originally was staying with Daddy because he had lung cancer and now is in remission, is not helping. He is making a lot of the mess. My daddy couldn't even walk a few weeks ago. Couldn't pee without making a mess. He insisted he was "fine". Clearly he was not! Called the ambulance and they took him to the hospital. His K+ was 8.1! That coud have stopped his heart. His sugar runs high all the time. Up to 500. One minute he is coherent the next he is talking nonsense. Sorry I just had to vent. I don't know what to do with him.

Start here, Melissa: http://aging.dhs.georgia.gov/

Call the phone number and see how they might be able to help you.

It is very sad to see a loved one "going downhill" and not doing much to better themselves or the situation. It also makes you feel helpless, right? This is true, a frog will jump out of a boiling pot of water, but it will just sit in a slowly heating pot of water until it dies. Some people are like that too. My mom was like that when she was dying of cancer and I understand where you're coming from. I felt like part of it was my fault, but I still got angry at her for giving up, for not fighting more, but what more can you do if they won't help themselves too? If you need to vent just write me a message. I hope I helped in some little way to let you know that you are not alone. :)

Thank you for your comments. Made me feel better to tell someone else about my frustration.