Foot AVM

I am a 57 yo just diagnosised with AVM of foot. Most of the articles I read are for children. Has anyone been diagnosised with AVN in the foot in adulthood. I am to have surgery to have it removed on Monday. What should I know? The vascular surgeon does not think it is AVM but I only had an MRI with contrast and it said I did? Any suggestions please? It really aches, throbs at night some worse then others.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the group!
So sorry to hear about your avm- I did a search on here to see others who have had AVM's on their foot and here is the link to the results you may want to send a few of them messages if no one else answers on here so you can get help since you are a week out from your surgery.
http://www.avmsurvivors.org/main/search/search?q=foot+avm

Hugs
Angela

I am an extremity survivor myself (tongue AVM) and it was challenging to find doctors who knew exactly what I had with my tongue. It took me many months to find a doctor who understood AVMs and I might suggest that you try to get a few consults under your belt. Have you met with other doctors? Please make sure you educate yourself about your condition before having surgery. It is so important to the whole process of understanding the journey. Where are you located Need a Vacation? Best of luck.

Welcome Need a Vacation!

There are a number of us here who have foot AVM's. You might want to delay resecting (surgical removal) until you have a chance to explore thoroughly all of the options available. You can use the search box (top right) of the screen- search "foot AVM treatment" or "foot surgery" to see what others here have posted in recent years.

I have a left foot AVM. I was diagnosed in January of this year (you can view any of your fellow AVMers profile to read "our stories") Just saw a Interventional Radiologist this morning. Foot surgeries for removal of the AVM (alone) has not been very successful. The little buggers tend to grow back quickly, sometimes get bigger and the surgery may damage nerves in the foot that leave you in pain for a long time... possibly forever.

There is much written on this website about the various doctors who are treating AVM's around the world. Some of the most often mentioned doctor's are Dr. Yakes from Swedish Hospital in Denver and Dr. Rosen in NY. A number of your fellow AVMers here have been seen by Dr. Yakes with mixed results. Try "Rosen" or "Yakes" and "foot" in the search box (top right).

I chose to have Dr. Paul Rochon who is a Radiologist who works at University of Colorado Medical Center in Aurora, CO. He has treated a number of patients with AVM's- more children than adults.
He seems capable, passionate, thoughtful and is approaching the treatment of my AVM in a very logical manner. We will begin treatment with an angiogram to get a very clear picture of the AVM. We will then try to "kill" the Nidus (brain of the AVM) by injecting the Nidus with a substance (TBD). If the Nidus dies, the growth will stop... so I'm told. I may have a coil (plug) inserted in the main artery feeding the AVM, if one will fit. The angiogram will let Dr. Rochon know if the artery is big enough to fit a coil in it.

There are risks associated with any intervention available to us. The solution injected in the AVM may inhibit its growth but cause collateral nerve damage. The coil will inhibit blood flow to the AVM and to unaffected areas of the foot, like skin. Skin and the other unaffected tissue of the foot need adequate blood supply to function properly.

Fortunately, our feet are fed by three primary arteries.

Thanks for 'reaching out' to your fellow AVMers here. We have gained alot of knowledge from our new virtual friends around the world...

Best of Luck to you!

Mychal

1 Like