Fluid leak after craniotomy

hi ,i had craniotomy 8 weeks ago for avm ,right side temporal lobe which was not fully successful due to my brain being very swollen ,they did remove some of the feeders but still have some of it left ,
every morning when i wake up i have eye and facial selling ,the surgeon says he thinks it is leaking fluid and other than opening my head up again he will have to do a lumbar puncture ,i opted to take the wait and see route as he said there is a chance it might settle on its own
has anyone had this ? as it is very worrying and i am due a appointment with sheffield regarding gamma knife to try and zap the remainder of the avm
i’m thinking maybe they might not go ahead if its still leaking
thanks guys

Hey Carolb,
Post craniotomy I too had an issue with a CSF leak, especially when I exerted myself, I could hear a gurgling like someone blowing through a straw into a milkshake. Mine did eventually settle though, once the craniotomy bone flap had re-joined with my skull it stopped. But in saying that the leak was nowhere near as bad as it sounds that yours is. Personally I would be recommending following you neurosurgeons advice, you could wait, go and see the dr’s in Sheffield and see what their advice is, but for the fluid to be swelling your eye and face each morning, I’d consider that a concern.

Hope it helps
Merl from the Moderator Support Team