First appointment with the Neurologist and scared

This is the first time I have seen this web site and I am very glad that I joined. Since I was diagnosed with AVM’s in my wrist I have had so much support from my family and friends but it is hard to know what someone who an AVM is really going through until you have been there yourself. I recently had an AVM in my wrist rupture… it was incredibly painful. After eight weeks the AVM is finally stable but today I was told that I will loose almost all motion in my wrist. I am going to school to be a surgeon and my doctor told me that doing surgery without any motion in your dominate wrist would be seemingly impossible. Since this incident my primary physician said that it would be best to see a neurologist to have testing done to see if I have any AVM’s in my brain. I have been having so many side effects but no major migraines which is why I keep telling myself that all of the symptoms could be something else… which is possible… but it could also be another AVM. I am only twenty years old and I am scared that Wednesday will be the end of the life I had planned for myself. Thank you everyone. It is comforting to know that I am not alone.

Even if it’s the “end”, it’s a new beginning of something else. I’m sorry that your dream of becoming a doctor might not happen, but maybe you will find something else just as fulfilling!!! And maybe even more fulfilling??

Hi Rebecca. First of all...welcome to this site...plenty of good info and support here. Please take another look at the name of it...it does not say AVM victim. It says the word SURVIVORS and there are over 2600 of us here. You are very much not alone. I want you to read a blog on here. Go to the top of the page and click on blogs. Scroll down until you see Bring on the Rain. Brittany Wilson is just a year younger than you.

There is an old saying When God closes a door...he opens a window. Now you may just have to body slam it to get that window open but it can be done. I will be praying for you!

Rebecca,

Welcome to the site. It's a great place to vent and ask and simply exchange ideas and experiences. Everybody here understands the feelings and fears and worries. Glad to hear you're ready to focus on recovery for the AVM in your wrist. It's very tough to wait to see about possible AVMs in your brain and spinal cord, but try to focus on getting some motion back in your wrist for everyday activities. I hope you're going to an occupational therapist and getting some exercises to help.

Next, I understand being disappointed -- even bitter -- about possibly having to alter the career plan you had. Many people change their career plans based on life experiences. I can tell you that my daughter's AVM prompted me to change my career. I know you don't want and didn't ask to change careers. But there are still plenty of ways you can make a positive difference in people's lives. Your new experiences as a patient will help you be a better, more understanding doctor if that's what you choose to do.

Best wishes with your angio. May it show that your brain is ready to let you move forward with your plans and see where your new experiences and understanding take you.