Finding employment as a Brainer

Just asking around as to what other brainers get around to doing for employment... Having trouble finding some myself, anything would be appreciated.

Hey midnight shuffle, I’d like to to tag on with a related question I you don’t mind - I’m not a brainer, but I did suffer a stroke as a result of my brain bleed. My mind is intact, but I have all the classic stroke symptoms. What’s the job market like for someone who was a district manager before this happened? Thanks.

I havn't had a problem with it...yet. If you can find a company that contracts with the federal government you can use it to your advantage. Assuming you have a disability. This article will clarify: federal contractors/human resource management

Interesting article, Nicholas. You’re right, you can use it to your advantage. It’s all about perspective - choosing to look at the glass as half full instead of half empty. Anyone else have experience in the workforce with a new disability?

Had an AVM in 1959 when I was a kid. I struggled through school, barely graduating from high school. I did learn to type and take shorthand in high school, and got a job working for an attorney. The last job I had was in a state attorney General’s office as a Paralegal 2. I always thought I was dumb, but now, after retirement, I can look back and realize how intelligent I was and still am. Thanks.

beans.

That’s great to hear, Beansy. I’m a recent survivor, learning I had an AVM after it ruptured causing a stroke. I had SRS in November, and still recovering from the stroke. I’m hoping to return to work at some point, and your note instilled hope. Thanks!

Interesting. Are avm’s on the list? If so what steps did you take toward documentation and what has been your experience in the workforce?

I just now read the article you linked. I read the comments; and, of course, so many of them were about liberals vs conservatives, hating Obama and he ruined the country. I get so tired of this stuff.

I never told any employer about my disability, which if you watched and observed me, could have been seen. The AVM left me blind (legally) but I was left with enough clear vision on the right side to be able to do legal assistance work, to type, and to be the best I could be in my job. I may have been a little slower than others, but I was more accurate; and I know I asked more questions and asked them more than once. My last supervisor at that Attorney Generals office put that in a great evaluation I received. She said it took me more time to understand some stuff, but when I got it, I nailed it.

I had the AVM before I left elementary school, and nobody knew except that school. I left there and never said a word unless it was to a trusted friend. When I walked into people, walls, dropped things, or got lost in the office I had worked in for years, I would get odd looks, and maybe I would say just that my vision was not so good. I found it impossible to collate legal papers by hand, and I had one coworker who always helped me. Then one day, they found out I could not drive because I was asked to work in a court in another county. I could not get there. I spilled about my vision loss and spatial problems. After that the henchmen who worked around the Attorney General, including HR, watched me, checked my work, had discussions with my supervisor, etc. I became scared, depressed, felt “different” and was starting to make some mistakes. I lost my husband to heart disease around that time (he was 47), and lived 30 miles from work. I needed a ride 9 miles everyday to catch a state van to work. There were days I could not get to the van, so eventually I used all sick and vacation time. I requested working some days from home. NO. They threatened to dock my pay if I had no time in the bank to use. My supervisor was on my side all the time, but that was not enough. She found me one day in my office under the desk crying, a blithering fool. I was 54 at the time, and I had worked my entire life. I left that day on short term disability, received Social Security Disability within 4 months, and the state fought me on getting long term disability. I have not worked again. I do some volunteering nearby, but am essentially trapped a lot of the time home.

People have asked me “what do you do all day?” What a rude question. I used to try to list what I do, now I say “And why do you ask?”

I do not feel guilty about being on the government’s teat. I paid into the system for over 35 years, some of those years being very difficult. I am definitely not lazy. I still do things to the best of my ability.

I lived through what occurred after my employer learned of my disabilities. I would still never tell an employer anything about it if I were looking for a job.

beans