Few Options left, need of help

if you would like I can help you research for foundations and financial assistance, I live in Pa and had to go to Arizona, did alot of research, I just need to know what part of Texas you r from

Hi, my 10 yr. old son had a bleed in the brain a year ago. He was diagnosed with an AVM and two brain aneursyms. He's had 7 brain surgeries i.e embolizations, cerebral angiograms and had gamma knife surgery last Nov. They're hoping the radiation will shrink the AVM. Have you considered gamma knife surgery which is basically radiation. He was treated by Dr.Daniel Waltzman here in NJ. He is excellent.
Get a second opinion re: gamma knife. Craniotomy is a last resort. I had to file bankruptcy because of the medical bills even though we did have insurance. My portions were too high to pay.
Michelle.

Since you are in texas out is closer to home for arizona. But dr. spetzler is an amazing surgeon. He is not cut happy. He is pro patient. He puts patient safety and after effects ahead of his ego making him the best doctor. It helps that he is the doctor who co founded the grading scale used by all neurosurgeons across the world for avm treatment. Dr. main was other and he was practicing at ucla in california. I recommend spetzler. He is my surgeon now that I moved and he really is the best. My surgeon who did my craniotomy is in new hampshire his name is dr. robert singer. But I recommend him or spetzler(100%).

I was treated by Dr Nanda at LSU Shreveport. Very good, just hard to get to talk to him one on one. Might want to give him a try. University Hospital at Shreveport, and they also have free care available if you qualify. Whole lot closer for you.He is also a teaching Doctor

there is a book all about Dr Spetzler, it is called The Healing Blade By Edward J Sylvester, it is an awesome book, everyone should read it! He is an Amazing Dr!

Dr. Robert Spetzler
Neurosurgeon

Barrow Neurological Institute

St. Joseph Hospital
Phoenix, Arizona

It was 24 years ago, so I hope my info for you is not too old for you. Dr. Spetzler fixed my AVM very well, and because mine was one very large AVM, he told me he LEARNED so much from MY surgeries (7 surgeries altogether)!

Good luck and may God be with you all!

Lisa

We live in new York. My daughter had an AVM rupture. We see dr. Robert Spetzler in Phoenix arizonia. No need to go there send him all medical records and scan he will review them and contact you. He is a world expert in the field and operates on difficult situations when others wouldn’t. Try to contact him. Usually all hospitals in ny have some sort of financial aid. I would first contact dr spetzler then figure out where you’ll go for surgery then contact hospital for info on grants. Good luck to you.

Texas_Boy25,

Dr. Ghatan did my craniotomy to clip 2 awful aneurysms last June. He's a lovely man in addition to being a terrific surgeon. He's boarded in both neurosurgery and pediatric neurosurgery, which may be advantageous to your brother. And he works closely with Dr. Berenstein for interventional treatment. Plus he also does surgeries for epilepsy. My advice is to call Dr. Ghatan's office (212-636-3232) and run your questions about next steps past Cindy (his admin). If you're planning to go to NYC anyway, he's the man to see.

I am glad to email with you privately if that would be helpful. I'm new to this site and still figuring out how everything works.

See Ghatan!

I sent you a private email-hope to hear from you

Over 2 decades ago, Dr Robert Spetzler, in Phoenix, Arizona, did an excellent job on my grade 5 AVM. He was pretty young then, so I assume he is still doing his neurosurgeries. He was at the Barrow Neurological Institute/St Joseph Hospital. He was a miracle worker for me!

Good, good luck, and may God direct you in the right way!!

Lisa A. Stuckel

OOOPPPSSS! Sorry, but after I just sent my last note to you, I saw the note I sent a several days ago!

Maybe it is a sign to look into Dr. Robert Spetzler? Who knows.

Lisa

Dr. Ghatan is my neurosurgeon! He performed emergency surgery on me when my AVM burst in July 2012 and he saved my life. He removed my AVM through surgery months later, in January 2013, and it was absolutey amazing. There is hardly a scar, he never had to shave my head, so by looking at me no one could ever tell that I even had brain surgery! I would tell people and they would look at me and they couldn't believe it. I continue to go to Dr. Ghatan for follow-up visits since this happened only a year and a half ago, but my AVM has been removed and now because of him, I am comforted that I will not have to worry about having problems with my AVM ever again. I would definitely recommend this doctor based on my personal experiences with him and his team.