Falling UP the stairs

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I fell UP the stairs twice yesterday morning. At the same time, I’m a little nervous about it. I was walking up the stairs to wake my son up for school and fell forward on to the carpeted steps. I got up, climbed three more steps, and it happened again. I felt like I couldn’t stand up for a couple of seconds (although it seemed much longer! lol), and then I was kind of afraid to move. This incident left me very shaky and nervous, not to mention the rug burn and large bruise on my arm, as well as backache, stiff neck,and sore shoulders and knees.

I don’t recall stumbling or feeling weak right before it happened. Has this ever happened to any of you?

Connie, I haven’t had this experience, but the classic neurological exam immediately came to mind–they are always checking the reflexes and resistance in the feet, ankles, knees and legs–as well as that thing I think of as the “sobriety test” (walking toe-heel in a straight line.) I think anytime you have an experience like this that seems really “off,” especially when it involves balance or strength is a cause for concern. Hopefully it was nothing more than a regular fall, but it could have more serious (neurological) causes. Neurology aside, do you think it could be related to the medicines you are taking? If you are on pain meds, that can make you dizzy, as could drug interactions. Also the ears are always a prime suspect in equilibrium/balance situations.

I hope you are recovering from the fall, and that this was just a fluke. Feel better soon–
Your friend,
Marilyn

Thank you, Marilyn. I did let my neuro’s nurse know about the fall. I hadn’t taken my pain meds yet that morning and don’t recall feeling dizzy; I’m still pretty achy, which is why I’m still awake now at 3 a.m.