Emotional roller coasters?

DOES ANYONE HAVE THOSE DAYS WHERE THEY ARE ON AN EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER, THERE ARE DAYS WHERE MY EMOTIONS ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF WACK. I GO FROM ONE EXTREME TO ANOTHER WITHIN A MATTER OF MINUTES. IM CRYING ONE MINUTE AND GIVE NEW MEANING TO BEING ANGRY THE NEXT WITHOUT ANY CAUSE. IT TAKES ALOT OF A PERSON. DOES ANY ONE ELSE GO THROUGH THIS. NOT SURE HOW TO HANDLE THIS. MY FAMILY HAS ACTUALLY STARTED CALLYING THEM TEMPER TANTRUM AND IM 35 YRS OLD. THIS IS REALLY HARD TO DEAL WITH SOME DAYS.

Hi Tonna,

I saw on your profile that your AVM is in your frontal lobe, and that’s an area that has a lot to do with controlling emotion. It can be strengthened with practice, and therapy (which insurance should cover) can be a big help with that–you can ask a therapist to teach you strategies for anger management, for example.

Keep in mind, too, that stress also shuts down some of the frontal lobe’s power to control your emotions. So anything that calms you down–a lot of people recommend meditation, breathing exercises, tai chi, or some kind of quiet time–should help get your brain get back to doing the emotional management it’s meant to do.

JH

Thanks i’ll have to try that i have also noticed lately i cant stand big groups with alot of noise and activity going on i actually have anxiety attacks, my own children even cause them I have 4 and 2 of the are ADHD. So some times it real challenging. I have actually had to go in my room until I calm down. I have always been a very easy going person and things don’t usually bother me. So this has been really hard on me. It usually takes quite a bit to make me angry. Most things roll off my back. So alot of this is new to me. THanks for the advice. Tonna

HI Tonna, I go through it too. It stinks!! I get short fused at times, I can’t stand loud noises any more, crowds are a big no-no for me. I even get ‘teary eyed’ watching a movie sometimes… I was never, ever like this before.

YES YES YES this is me exactly. my husband gets mad when I cant explain why am sad or why am so angery. I feel the worst when i take my anger out on my son, he will be 7 in april. He understands that i have an avm and why i get mad has nothing to do with him. But it still feels horrible and I totally get how you feel and what you mean!! I’m here if you ever want to chat =)

Your experience sounds so much like my husband's. He has the same problem with being overwhelmed by noise or activity, and he read in Claudia Osborn's book "Over My Head" that it's called "flooding." We found it useful to be able to think about it in terms of the brain...it's not that he's uninterested or unwilling to be in a busy situation, it's just that his brain floods with all the different things competing for attention.

Leaving the room to calm down actually sounds like you're already finding strategies that work...let us know any more that you figure out!

Tonna Wenger said:

Thanks i'll have to try that i have also noticed lately i cant stand big groups with alot of noise and activity going on i actually have anxiety attacks, my own children even cause them I have 4 and 2 of the are ADHD. So some times it real challenging. I have actually had to go in my room until I calm down. I have always been a very easy going person and things don't usually bother me. So this has been really hard on me. It usually takes quite a bit to make me angry. Most things roll off my back. So alot of this is new to me. THanks for the advice. Tonna

Hi!
My avm is on the left frontal lobe, I had a craniotomy done on march 2009… Didn’t work I’m waiting for radiation… I had Almost the same symptoms like that even panic attacks and depress on and off…So I been on medications for depression that can a help… Also I been reading some books spirituals… But with time a learned to live life day by day… Enjoy life like there’s no tomorrow… Have faith my friend and by strong because it is a journey that we have to live…Good luck my friend and sending you positive energy wish the best

Thanks every one. i even wake up at nite with these over whelming emotions and then i can’t go back to sleep. Hopefully one done this will all be over and my life will go back to some normally. I hope !!

I feel the EXACT same ywa- you are not alone there.

Hi. I also have an AVM in my left frontal lobe. Before I knew about my AVM I had always had emotional problems. One day I would be fine. The next like an angry animal with rabies... I ended up taking several different antidepressants that didn't work. Finally found prozac and it is my best friend! I would get irritable and angry for no reason and then feel like I had fallen into a hole that I couldn't get out of no matter how hard I tried. I do have times that I get irritated at people, things but it is way better than it used to be. I had even considered suicide at at several times in my life and actually tried one time by trying to overdose on my mother's blood pressure pills and pain medications. I never told anyone just threw up all night. I realized how selfish I had been and begged God to not let me die. I guess he saw fit to let me live as I am still here.

Hi Hi Tonna. Yes, you are describing many of the effects from , Frontal lobe injuries. I would like to suggest you take a look at a video on what they call...Flooding.

The tab at the top of the page here on AVM survivor under Media. You'll find the link to that video. Flooding. Hope you watch it as many people on this site have found it to be great.

take care ,

Hi Tonna

I am turning 46 and my mood swings are unbelievable. I do everything in my power not to cry but I have a terrible mouth and I swear something terrible followed by a lie down. Im so bloody tired.
I get so frustrated with not being able to do the things I use to do....
Your not alone! I often wish I could turn back time. xxx

Hi . here is a link that I think will be very helpful. This man is a Neuropsychologist in the states and he put together a booklet for tbi survivors. it;s really a survival guide put into words most people can understand. Please look at the content under heading

"Understanding how the brain works." page 4 and 5 talk about the frontal lobe. when I read your post , I knew you had to see this. I have learned more about me.... the new me from this booklet than I ever thought possible. Best thing.... it's free. here is the link, but if it doesn't work google tbiguide.com Survival guide will also appear. Best of luck to everyone facing those, Who am I / I'm not like that statements. Read it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

My Husband especially LOVED IT

http://www.tbiguide.com

The whole guide is AWESOME ! ! ! !

This seems like a very common symptom when dealing with a long term health issue and I have been doin lots of ‘crying like a little girl’ along with been angry,depressed and anxious. I have been referred to a counselor, my first session is tomorrow. I’m hoping that talking to someone who I am not emotionally connected to will help.