Embolization recovery

I just had embolization surgery for my non-bleeding AVM 12 days ago. The doctors have indicated that the surgery went very well. Is there a typical recovery time or is every AVM different?

Chari had 4-5 embolizations. Typically, She went from surgery to ICU overnite, then released from the hospital. Her tiredness was likely some from sedatives they gave her AND the fact that she couldn’t sleep in ICU with all the racket and people prodding her.

Our standard process was to leave the hospital before noon on Tues, sleep most of Tues, Chill out Wed, do some stuff Thursday, and go about 75% Fri-Sat-Sun. Then do another embo Monday.

Recovery time is probably very variable.

Best wishes,
Ron, KS

wow. That is some very intersting information, Ron. Since we went the Gamma route with our daughter I really don’t know too much about embolizations, but assume I will in the near future because I’m kind of expecting her to need one(or more?). The Gamma Knife is supposedly working “as expected”, but it’s been well over 2 years and I must say I have my doubts that it’s going to be the cure-all. I had no idea they performed embos repeatedly several days apart. Are the sedatives given primarily so that she won’t move?

Ron, KS said:

Chari had 4-5 embolizations. Typically, She went from surgery to ICU overnite, then released from the hospital. Her tiredness was likely some from sedatives they gave her AND the fact that she couldn’t sleep in ICU with all the racket and people prodding her.

Our standard process was to leave the hospital before noon on Tues, sleep most of Tues, Chill out Wed, do some stuff Thursday, and go about 75% Fri-Sat-Sun. Then do another embo Monday.

Recovery time is probably very variable.

Best wishes,
Ron, KS

Hi Sandie,

I think the sedatives are to relax the patient a little. You are “awake” during an embo! They navigate the probe through your blood vessels until they have the end at a target location. Then they inflate a balloon at the end of the probe, which shuts off the blood flow. Next they do a neurological test (touch your nose, wiggle your fingers, say “cat”, read this sentence, etc) to make sure you did not lose function when they inflated the balloon.

Once satisfied that the vessel is safe, they inject a blood-activated super glue (might have different stuff now as ours was 10+ yrs ago) at the probe, and pull the probe out.

With the potential for brain swelling, they like to have time between embos. Since we live in KS and had the treatment at Stanford, CA, they did several of her’s about 7 days apart. Had we lived closer, they probably would have spaced them out more. All told, one trip we were there five weeks.

Chari’s was a LARGE (5cm) AVM, so they attacked it in several areas. A smaller one might be done in fewer embos.

Hope this helps.
Ron, KS

Kevin,

I am glad all went well with your procedure. How did it feel when you were going through the embolization? Was it painful at all? Any side effects that you are going through that you can share? Thanks!

I was asleep for my embo’s. I had two, one in Dec 08 and one in Jan 09. I had little head pain the first week and then felt great! :slight_smile:
I just had my stereotactic radiation on Sept 17th … I was awake during the arteriogram but barely…I was under conscious sedation but don’t remember too much. That’s a good thing. I came out of that great as well. Best wishes!!

Rachel

Caroline Niblock said:

Kevin,

I am glad all went well with your procedure. How did it feel when you were going through the embolization? Was it painful at all? Any side effects that you are going through that you can share? Thanks!

Hi Caroline,

Other than my own nervousness, there was absolutely no pain or discomfort with my embolization procedure. I was under a general anesthetic and all I can remember is waking from a restful sleep. The anesthetic wore off in an hour or so. After the procedure I was told I would have headaches (which I did) but was able to take medication for it. It’s been 14 days and I’m still dealing with a daily headache, but I suspect everyones recovery will be unique. I have a type 3 dural non-bleeding AVM, I believe also referred to as an AVF.

Kevin

Caroline Niblock said:

Kevin,

it took me about a week for each embolization to feel back to normal. But every avm recovery is different so I hope you have a quick and smooth time