Embolization date

So I finally got the date of my surgery! We’re set up for September 1st. From what my doc told me it’s gonna be a pretty intense surgery but he’s confident that he can block up a good portion of my AVM. I’m fairly scared but looking forward to having this part behind me. We’re going to wait until a month after surgery in order to start gamma knife, so fingers crossed that everything goes well!
Bella Antenucci

1 Like

Great to get that date! I understand completely being scared, I was leading up to gamma knife but was really at ease once I thought about the people doing it. It really relaxed me, so committed and professional. Know we are with you! John.

1 Like

What other info do you have on it? I’m weird like that, I got all of the possible info on mine all the way through the procedure. If you’re not - I can def understand

Also, how are you feeling? You sound like you’re doing better than I was going into my last angiogram

1 Like

Yes I had my AVM embolized and then surgically removed after it was scary but Ive had no issues since surgeon was very positive and cnfident I hope all goes well for you

Bella,

Honestly, the worst bit is not knowing what you’re going into but we have each done part of what you’ve got in front of you and I’d take embolisation or gamma knife as a way forwards any day. It seems really scary beforehand and there are undoubtedly risks associated with either procedure but honestly… it’ll be fine.

Anything you want to ask about embolisation, I’m happy to share how I felt. And if I needed to do it again, I would do it without fear. Like I say, first time through this is the worst just because you worry so much.

Will be thinking about you next week. Anything you want to ask, just ask.

Very best wishes,

Richard

1 Like

Bella,

I want to wish you the very best for tomorrow!

I think you should ignore what the doc said about “intense” surgery. You’ll be on general anaesthetic, so you don’t need to know if it was an hour or two hours or four hours or what and because it is an embolisation, I don’t think you’ll come out of it feeling worse if it takes ages. Mine was quite long – I went in to theatre at 3pm or 5pm, I forget, but didn’t get to see my wife in recovery until about 10:30pm so she thought it was a nightmare day it took so long. However, for me, I felt very dry in the mouth, somewhat startled head, but full of very helpful drugs.

Good luck!

They will look after you and all you have to do is turn up in the right place at the right time. Pretend you’re on holiday in an all-inclusive hotel with staff on hand to help you with everything, warm bed, very average food but great drugs. You’ll be fine.

I’ll be thinking about you this week, especially tomorrow, but look forward to hearing from you perhaps at the weekend.

Sending you my very best wishes, love and positive vibes for tomorrow!

Richard

1 Like

Thank you so much Richard!
After an entire day of panicking and getting in a negative headspace about it all, this was super helpful!! The only thing I’m scared of is the potential complications that happen afterwards (strokes and all that other not so great stuff). I’m hoping for the very best and am receiving all of the love and prayers with as much heart as I can! Thank you for your words! I really appreciate them!! I’ll give updates as soon as surgery is over!

I know what you mean. Be positive.

One thing I read here a couple of years ago was someone who woke up after a craniotomy to find they couldn’t see and couldn’t speak. However, it was just to do with the disruption to her brain. After a day or two, it all calmed down and she was back to normal. So, this isn’t going to happen to you but if you wake up and not everything works, don’t panic and think “Well, that’s that then!” because there is every chance it is just to do with your brain smarting from the invasion and it may well get better.

I’ve also read of people waking up and starting to speak French or some other language they don’t know. And again, that faded once everything settled down. The brain is a very strange thing.

Anyway…

Don’t think about that sort of thing. You’re going to be fine and I’m sending you my very best wishes. Have a good day.

Richard

1 Like