Dr McConachie was my doc. I’m confident he knows what he’s doing. It’s the same treatment for both: he’ll fill the aneurysm with glue or coils or other embolic material to render it safe.
I don’t remember what my percentages were. I can’t say they felt “low”. 5-10% chance of complications is not so bad but I agree that if “death” was in the same percentages (or on its own with 5%-10%) then that feels a bit high.
I’ve just dug out my consent form and he gave me 5% risk of complications or death but I didn’t have an aneurysm, so maybe the risk is similar with each (same procedure used = similar risk) and he’s adding the two together. However, part of the risk is that of threading the catheter through without causing a tear in the artery wall, so that risk is mostly reduced by doing both in the same procedure (only one thread through most of the way) hence the range of 5-10, maybe.
Pre Christmas is pretty quick.
The key thing I decided was “do I think I need this operation or not?” and “do I trust him?” For me, the answer was “yes” both times but you need to decide what your criteria are and then whether you’re comfortable to go with this plan or seek a different plan.
It’s not easy. But there are plenty of others who’ve been through the same sh*t and come out smelling fine.
It’s a good thing to have had the consult.
Consider writing this in the public space, or I can move this to an open thread if you like.
(I’ve changed this post slightly).