Driving question

I’m not that far along in recovery just yet (16 months in after 2nd rupture and becoming left side hemiparetic) BUT I’ve been wondering… did any of you ever get back to being able to drive? My PT is already in the phase of taking every walking assistive device (which I don’t mind, I’ve been taking 5-7 steps for weeks without anything) Hand is still being iffy but arm is getting there and I know, I know it’s the last thing to come back :slight_smile: just wondering if eventually any of you got back to driving since my OT was no help :confused: she was just like you just get back to it eventually.

I regained most of the feeling on my left side but I have homonymous hemianopsia as my rupture was along my occipital lobe so they won’t let me drive even though I feel I could; if you have all of your vision I truly believe you’ll get back to driving as long as your car is an automatic and not a stick shift with a clutch. my OT had a car that couldn’t run in the training room so you could practice getting in and out of the car putting on your seatbelt turning the steering wheel and working all the pedals; because of my vision they never got me that far but maybe you need to look at somebody that has a set up like that so you can work on getting back to driving.

1 Like

Teiry,

As Mike says, I think sight is the most important, followed by your ability to react promptly when something happens. If you have full strength in your right side, even if you don’t get all left side strength back, an adapted vehicle may be possible, with some controls by the steering wheel.

Keep on keeping on. Very best wishes

Richard

I didnt stay with any motor deficit but my right side doesnt has a normal sensation, I have no perception of where my leg is if I m not looking and because of that I had to buy an automatic car and adapt the pedals to drive with the left leg.I was left with that uncertanty and I was miserable and not being able to drive my old car for a year and a half…Its so traumatic plus everything else that we are dealing to loose that independency and doctors just tell us to wait…if you can adapt a car now do it, dont wait, if you be can drive normally again great but dont wait, mentally being able to drive again helped a lot

1 Like

The loss of Independence is still the toughest thing I have to deal with on top of my other deficits… it is very hard to lose your independence and I don’t have a good answer for you because I still can’t deal with it.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone! :heart:
I’llkeep asking around and will wait until my 3 year mark to truly get on the ball about it.
@Mike5: Trust me, my vision was the first thing I wanted checked since the first rupture and previous unconfirmed avm activity my vision was always an issue and luckily aside from having astigmatism and legally blind on my left eye without my glasses. I am a-ok lol! I’ve talked to my ophthalmologist and the plan is to do lasik in February( after so much brain surgery lasik is more nerve wrecking in my opinion since it is my eyeball and I can see what is going on) and I totally agree on the loss of independence subject. Recently I’ve been trying my best to do things myself though (if possible) but that’s just cause I’m hard headed and it’s a win-win because it helps me relearn to do certain things

2 Likes

Hl, it took me 7 years to get back to driving, so dont ever give up!, my vision improved enough after all that time for no reason and a total unexplained miracle . Stay positive thats half the battle and never give in. Good luck x

1 Like

Hi Jill, I was thrilled read that your vision had improved so long after your initial problem! It is inspiring to hear that, my son was 34 when his AVM was discovered. During the procedure to block the artery, the “glue” backflowed and blocked the artery to his optical centre. As a result, he has hemianopsia on his left side, both eyes, and cannot drive. He was a firefighter/paramedic at the time, however, he has been on disability since due to being unable to drive. He is so very depressed over losing his independence and a career he loved.
So happy you regained the ability to drive!

Barb

Thank you Jill! :slight_smile: that’s the plan: to just keep fighting and stay positive!

I got my Drivers License back after 2 years. But over the next 24 years my Neuro Doc has pulled the “privilege” several times. Been driving constantly for last 18 years.

1 Like