Driving after craniotomy

There is always light at the end of the tunnel and when I was told I was not able to drive for a standard 6 months after surgery I felt like things got even worse, however it wasnt so bad and went quite quickly… I can understand why they take this precaution for drivers and to keep everybody safe… God bless!

Hi Castle!

I had my surgery at University of Chicago hospital, Dr. Awad and his staff were very good to me. My scalp did itch while the hair was growing back. Dr. Awad only cut what was absolutely necessary for the surgery, about 1/4" strip down the back of my head. I have waist length hair and told him it took me 20 years to grow it that long and I might not live long enough for it to grow back if he shaved my hair off. I begged him not to cut it and he was nice enough to understand my reasons.

I don’t know if you’re supposed to inform the DMV, I didn’t. Just waited to see what the meds did to me and used my best judgment as to when to start driving again. I did have someone with me while I drove for the next two weeks though until I was off the temporary meds. I know my recovery might not have been typical; they released me from the hospital two days early because I was doing so well and I’m used to being very active. Literally going stir crazy in the hospital walking the ward all over for something to do.

I hope and pray your surgery and recovery go as well as mine. Was told surgery would take 4-5 hours, it only took 2 1/2 in reality. My AVM was just sitting on the surface of the brain just under the bone, not burrowed in in any way like most AVMs seem to be.

hi thank you, I’m fully prepared for the 6 months, luckily my friends have said they will all take me out wherever I want to go, probably just a café for a cuppa and cake to get out of the house!!I see this been a very fattening exercise!! x

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve got great friends. I have to say my wife, friends and work colleagues looked after me very well during my time not driving. Not being able to drive in the winter was somewhat unpleasant but I reflected many things during that time and there are many people, who for one reason or another cannot drive or afford a car, so it is good to understand how others get on; and of course there are many here who are permanently prevented from driving, either by their own consideration for others’ safety, or due to the licence authority denying their permit.

I hope you get on fine and it gives you as much time to reflect on life as it did me.

Best wishes always,

Richard

Hi Amanda, what was the pain like the day after surgery? I’m dreading waking up and been in absolute agony? x

hiya castle,
You kinda of forget about the pain. But I don’t recall being in agony when I woke up. That was the part I was dreading thinking I was going to be attached to all theses tubes and monitors, like what you see in icu, but to my surprise I wasnt in any immediate pain. It was more a huge relief that I could tell the time, it was 15:40 exact. I could move my left side and I could speak. No deficits that could of occurred. That’s when your new life begins. They keep you topped up on pain meds so you really don’t feel any major pains, more discomfort, and you sleep quite a lot which helps. Also remember I had a bleed so the pain I had could also of come from that, rather than the surgery itself. I wasnt up and walking for about 2/3 days but I was able to sit up use my phone that evening much to my sisters surprise, spelling was a bit of but I did just have my brain played about with​:joy::joy:. Honestly you will be fine, I would say more discomfort than agony. Have they told you how long they expect you to stay in hospital. I was discharged 6 days after the op. Nothing like the comfort of your own home. Everything will go smoothly and before you know it you’ll be back to normality. Just make sure you listen to your body and sleep when you need to. That is when the healing takes place. All the best Amanda.

aah thank you, yes they said 2/3 nights in intensive care , then 3-4 on the ward if all goes to plan,finished my last day at work today and very emotional xx

It’s a intense feeling when it’s a count down to the day of surgery. I’ve had craniotomy done. The only problem I had after surgery was I slept for 2 days straight and my neck was sore because I never moved my head.

yes I’m very nervous now, trying to keep busy though,so much to do ,to keep all organised for kids x

Hi just to let you know they rang at 9.30 this morning and cancelled!! not due till end of august ,so annoyed .

can you believe they cancelled it this morning!!

hi they cancelled it this morning!! gutted as was prepared mentally .

So sorry to hear that it was cancelled for you this morning… try and look at it as a positive as it was not meant to be today and focus on keeping that positive vibe up until you get it done… I know its easier said than done and I would feel the same if I was in your shoes but please keep positive and keep up the faith… God bless!

No way, I am so sorry. Have they give you a new date? when I had my surgery they cancelled a planned op to operate on me, I felt so guilty for the lady who had her op cancelled so I could have mine.I did ask if the ladies op was an emergency before I made my decision as I wouldn’t of wanted to deny her, her gift of life. If that makes sense. Like Adrian said stay strong everything happens for a reason.
Amanda.

NO! WHY? Was the surgeon suddenly sick?

No apparently pressure from management to rebook ops that had been canceeled already!!

Do you have a new surgery date set?

Hi got one today ,31 st july, maybe it was meant to be, as have so many things booked for july,and a holiday to new forest, which I can now go on x

Hi its rebooked for 31 st july,lots of things in july I am doing ,mainly a holiday I can now go on,and looking at unis with my daughter, so maybe it was meant to be x

I will be hoping it all works out for you. And praying for a good outcome on the day of your surgery.