Dreams

Lasts night I dreamed of my AVM rupturing. The pain was so intense I thought it was really happening. When I woke up I was fine, not even a headache. Am I losing my mind?? Or do you also have these kind of nightmares?

Sorry, No... I don't.   I also don't worry about if mine were to bleed or not either.   I came to terms with that a long time ago.   Dreams are often a reflection of what is on our minds, in our thoughts, our concerns, etc at that time.  Unless you are really worried about it, I doubt that you will have the same dream again.   Even when we sleep, our thoughts/mind never do.  They say that sleeping is a balancing out time for us.  That is when our subconscious rationalises or brings about clarity of thought to our consciousness.   Unpleasant dreams are often a purge of that process.    If we continue to have a similar type of unpleasant dreams.  Then we need to take a good look at it and come to terms with it and the 'bad' dreams will stop.   We will often dream of what we were thinking about before we fell asleep too.   I often think pleasant thoughts before I fall asleep.  1 - so I can get a good nights sleep and, 2 - so I can have some nice dreams.   It works.  :)

I have ‘disaster’ dreams too. They can be really realistic. Most of the time they are about one of my kids getting really hurt but then they just end up being minor hurts. Had a dream where my son fell off play equipment and really messed himself up. I dreamt the entire scenario from school calling through him coming home from hospital. Dreamed that I rushed to school,got his IV started, clotting factors in,and started neuro check while waiting for medivac to come get him. It was so over the top that I was a nervous wreck all day. Two days later the school called. David had gotten hit in the head right on top of his shunt. So I did the whole scene,factors in,call to neuro,ER visit. Only it wasn’t even close to as bad as my dream and I had already worked thru my panic thanks to the dream. I was actually a lot calmer because I had already rehearsed what needed to be done if he ever got hurt. We had never had to deal with an emergency with him before since he was a baby. I tend to look at them as training for whenever crap happens , because we have no limits on our dreams and mine definitely love to scare the crap out of me. Reality is like a cake walk after a disaster dream. Don’t worry about a bleed happening just remember what you did and go on. Otherwise you’ll give yourself a bleed. I sometimes even will have the same dream over and over just with me reacting differently til I get it ‘right’ then I don’t have that dream anymore. Just think of it as practice for if it ever happens.

Hello… My mother just recently went through sugery for AVM. She has been having terrible dreams about her dying. She will go all day long thinking someone will come and get her. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do for her? I am so worried and this is causing her blood pressure to rise because of this

erin lyn hurley said:

I have 'disaster' dreams too. They can be really realistic. Most of the time they are about one of my kids getting really hurt but then they just end up being minor hurts. Had a dream where my son fell off play equipment and really messed himself up. I dreamt the entire scenario from school calling through him coming home from hospital. Dreamed that I rushed to school,got his IV started, clotting factors in,and started neuro check while waiting for medivac to come get him. It was so over the top that I was a nervous wreck all day. Two days later the school called. David had gotten hit in the head right on top of his shunt. So I did the whole scene,factors in,call to neuro,ER visit. Only it wasn't even close to as bad as my dream and I had already worked thru my panic thanks to the dream. I was actually a lot calmer because I had already rehearsed what needed to be done if he ever got hurt. We had never had to deal with an emergency with him before since he was a baby. I tend to look at them as training for whenever crap happens , because we have no limits on our dreams and mine definitely love to scare the crap out of me. Reality is like a cake walk after a disaster dream. Don't worry about a bleed happening just remember what you did and go on. Otherwise you'll give yourself a bleed. I sometimes even will have the same dream over and over just with me reacting differently til I get it 'right' then I don't have that dream anymore. Just think of it as practice for if it ever happens.

Only that she’s scared witless. Talk to her drs, maybe there’s someone she can talk to who’s been there, doesn’t necessarily have to be an avm patient. My grandmother was that way after bypass til she talked to a patient who had a transplant. There’s always meds to lower blood pressure. And if all else fails, tell her to shut up and that she not allowed to die and give her reasons like grandchildren,seeing you get married, etc. Talk to dr first to get ok to do it. The shock of you ‘smarting back’ at her might help snap her out of it. Worked for my son. He might’ve only been 8, but it worked.

I am finding guided meditation helps when I’m feeling anxious. I often use it before bed to help keep the bad dreams at bay. It is so terrifying having so little control over your health. It’s fear that is causing my nightmares. I try to educate myself as much as possible but I think sometimes my dreams are worse because I have information over load.