Dr Taylor Videos

First off–WOW, this site has GROWN. Congratulations! I haven’t been on this site for quite awhile and to see the number of members is impressive.

Since this board is active and the MGH lists are S L O W now, I wanted to share that MGH posted this link to the Dr. Taylor videos: http://www.oprah.com/article/spirit/inspiration/pkgoprahssoulserieswebcast/20080512_oaf_oss_jboltetaylor

At this link, scroll down to where it says “Watch Now”.

Here’s my opinion on the videos, for what it’s worth:
I watched the videos today and found them fascinating.

They are long (four 30 minute segments) and I had to load a special viewer from the site to watch them.

The clarity which Dr. Taylor maintained throughout her stroke onset through recovery is very interesting to me. Chari, my wife, mentioned some of the same feelings when her AVM appeared, also in the left hemisphere. Dr Taylor’s background in brain research really helped her know what was working and what functions she had lost initially. It amazed me that it took her about four hours to realize she was not well AND communicate to others that she needed help! With her cognitive brain function circuits not working, numbers didn’t mean anything to her. When she finally realized she needed help, she found one of her own business cards and seeing only pixels, not numbers, she matched the pixels on her card to numbers on the phone.

Then when her co-worker answered, she said he sounded like her old Golden Retriever “Woof, Woof, woof”–her language processing circuits were gone as well. Not being able to speak, the co-worker got help on the way to her.

Personally, I don’t agree with some of her/Oprah’s New Age thinking (my words, not their’s), but I think the videos are a must see for any folks that deal with a brain trauma person. She offers some great tips for what to do/what not to do. I sent it on to my daughter, who is an occupational therapist who often deals with stroke patients.

Ron, KS

I added this interview page to my bookmarks. Great stuff!