Dr. Barrow (in Atlanta, GA)

Thank you so much!

Paula Brock said:

Hi Cindy,

Dr. Barrow removed my AVM in 1996. He has and forever will be at the top of my list when it comes to doctors! You will know when you meet him that he is a very confident and skilled surgeon. It brought me a great sense of comfort the day of the surgery to know that I was in the hands of someone who is an expert in his area of speciality. It is not hard at all to get an appt with him. Wishing you the best for your recovery!

Paula

Cindy,

I'm a bit slow responding, I hope you had you appointment with Dr. Barrow. Dr. Barrow and his team saved my life when other hospitals turned me away (in fact, my neurologist, said the only one who could help me was Dr. Barrow at Emory). When my AVM ruptured in 2005, I had a stroke and I was pretty off. Of course, I do not remember much; but, bits and pieces. Dr. Barrow removed my AVM when the swelling went down and then quickly got me into rehab. I hope Dr. Barrow can help you! Good luck,

Carolyn

Thank you, Carolyn. I know Dr. Barrow is a neuroSURGEON but do you know if he sees post-surgery patients (whom he has not operated on) as their neurologist? Iā€™ve been looking into whether he does or doesnā€™t and really canā€™t find anything that states whether he does or doesnā€™t. (I may have to end up calling his office and asking, which is no big deal, ā€¦ I just donā€™t want to hear the dreaded response of ā€œSet up/make an appointmentā€ in order to see/know.)

Carolyn A Baer said:

Cindy,

I'm a bit slow responding, I hope you had you appointment with Dr. Barrow. Dr. Barrow and his team saved my life when other hospitals turned me away (in fact, my neurologist, said the only one who could help me was Dr. Barrow at Emory). When my AVM ruptured in 2005, I had a stroke and I was pretty off. Of course, I do not remember much; but, bits and pieces. Dr. Barrow removed my AVM when the swelling went down and then quickly got me into rehab. I hope Dr. Barrow can help you! Good luck,

Carolyn

Just thought I'd give a quick informational update on what I'm learning/finding out:

Since our vascular ordeal(s) are rare and not many physicans are aware of them, I wanted to know if Dr. Barrow sees people (whom's AVMs have been removed) as his/her neurologist. (I am aware that Dr. Barrow is a neuroSURGEON with an exceptional AVM understanding & treatment reputation; therefore, I wondered if he saw people as his/her neurologist AFTER the AVM is gone or not.) In my quest to find out (b/c I am looking for a GOOOOOOD neurologist now that my neurosurgeon has said that I don't have to come back to him - unless I really needed to), here's what I've done so far:

(*) Called Dr. Barrow's office to ask. (The nice lady in the office is going to call me back with the answer.)

(*) Submitted the question through the "Ask a nurse" section on Emory's website. (The website said response time should be 1 business day, since I'm in the US.)

If anyone knows the answer to this question or has any tips on: (1) how to get Dr. Barrow to be the AVM neuroLOGIST for me since mine was removed by a different neurosurgeon or (2) knowledge of a GREAT neuroLOGIST (knowledgable with AVMs), I'd LOVE to know!

Thank you all, in advance!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!! (Keep smiling, believing, & loving!!!!!!!) :)

I was scheduled to see Dr. Barrow initially, and did get to meet with him. My PCP referred me to him and I was given an appointment. I hear he is very busy and travels quite a bit.

After my initial visit, he felt another Neurosurgeon Dr Nelson Oyesiku was the better person to handle the surgery. I met with Dr. Oyesiku and after his examination he concluded that Radiosurgery was the best option. Dr. Ian Crocker was brought in to handle this. Both of them worked together on my treatment.

Hope this helps.

Kene

Thank you, Kene. Putting the information out here for people is VERY helpful. Thank you so very much.

I have Dr barrow ar Emory and he is amazing. My radiation /oncologist Dr Crocker is such an amazing man.I have also done research. On these drs and they are about the best not only in the usa but they travel to europe also. And drs in gainsville Ga which is only 45 Mins from me but they are not qualified to touch someone with an avm. If you have any other questions please let me know

Dr Barrow performed my surgery, and I feel like I had the best outcome possible. He was great to speak with, and his surgical skills are top notch! To get an appointment with him I had to have my primary care physician call for me to get the appointment. I had the appointment quickly and then the surgery shortly after the consult.

Best wishes!
George

I love dr barrow

Cindy, I see you go back to 2012 with Dr. Barrow at Emory University and I got the privilege of meeting Dr. Barrow in Dec. 2012 and Dr. Barrow operated on Jan. 8, 2013. I had AVM at T 9 Spinal Cord. I also live in northeast Ga. original from west Marietta but live in Blairsville Mtns. at present time. For a 6 to 9 months I attended Sheperds Spinal Hospital in Atlanta as well. I have finalized in having Brown Sequard Syndrome for ever. Not fun but would be happy to communicate with you since we do live very close and have used the same Doctor.

I was a Brainstem CM. Also originally diagnosed by NEGA Nuerology. I was referred to Dr Barrow. My original diagnosis was untreatable. My best guess is that itā€™s a scheduling thing. That if you want him and are a less interesting case, you have to be more flexible about when. Your Nuero can set up appointment for you, mine did.

After surgery & recovery, I havenā€™t spoken to him. I donā€™t know anything about follow ups.

Samuel Milton 3 is who I was handed off to for rehabilitation & recovery. He coordinated all my rehab follow up surgeries etc. Sounds like this is where youā€™re at. Heā€™s also with Emory.

Hi, Jeremy. Jimmy Camp here in Georgia and I also went to and operated on my body by Dr.Barron at Emory university medical center . That was 6 years ago. My AVM was in my spinal cord at T9. I have survived but lost use of left leg. I havenā€™t stopped work and the only real thing I had to give up was riding motorcycles. I do have difficulties and burning pain but I just love with and keep. Be nice to hear from you since we both used the same Doctor. Your friend Jimmy C

Hey Jimmie. December 2014. Mine was in the Brainstem. He was the only Dr that would do it. Iā€™ve got lots of deficits. But, I did start working again last year. Part time cashier but still improving. My life changed dramatically but thankfully Iā€™m still alive. Thanks to Dr Barrow.

1 Like