Dr. Barrow (in Atlanta, GA)

Glad to know that there are no weak spots, etc. Out of curiosity, let me ask you this then: can they not try to fix one ‘cluster’ at a time?

Brian Hursey said:

Iv seen the scans and researched into it over the past couple years. It is not one cluster its about 4 - 5 clusters spread throughout the left brain. The CTA layed it all out in a 3d model. There are no weak spots or aneurisms. Mainly they are not the traditional clusters of a normal avm they are malformed veins. Some are tangled some are not. Talking with him they are away from the high pressure areas. So really im not looking at fixing it because in my case fixing it will cause to much damage because they would have to treat multiple parts of the brain lessening blood flow to important parts of my brain. He along with all the other seargins said it would be crazy to try and treat each area. It would cause to much damage. Basically of one area shows trouble we can treat that one area. So I am one of those rair cases I guess where the best option and safest option would be to wait and see. He said given the vein structure if I bleed it would most likely be a slow bleed. So I would know it. And he says there is a very good chance it may never bleed..

Here is one of the scans.. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4501126720_8880365363_o.png

Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to hear it has not changed (for the worse, that is)! Reviewed in 1998...12-13 years later = there may be better options for you now. Worth checking into, at the very least because it is your health (& I believe you do have a little one at home, which I'm sure she wants you healthy & around for as long as possible). (Girls really do grow up to be 'Daddy's girl'.)

Brian Hursey said:
I have had 2 neurologist in my time my current one specializes in avm's and sleep disorders and my case in 1998 was reviewed at the national neurological convention as a case study and they all concluded it would cause more damage to try and fix it then wait and see. They said most likely i will live a full life without it ever bursting. I get a scan every 2 years to look for changes in the structure that would cause issues. So far nothing. Although I need to get in shape so blood pressure wont be an issue when im older...

Cindy Phillips said:

Hi everyone! Thank you ALL for the information!!! I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Sherry: I had emergency brain surgery because mine burst & hemorrhaged in Aug. 2009. The hemorrhage caused me to have a hemorrhagic stroke, which effected my left side (I write with my left hand) and my vision, so complete recovery efforts have been 'hindered'. I moved to Habersham county (originally from the Habersham county area but have made Hall county my home for approx. 10 yrs. prior to my AVM ordeal - with you being in White county & your mother in Stephens county, I assume you know the quiet area of Habersham county -) a few months ago and trying to re-establish some 'normalcy' back into my life and get fully recovered.

Barbara, Denice, & Sherry: Did you have to wait a long time (weeks, months, etc.) to get an appt. with him after you called Emory for an appt.? (I have an appt. with a neuro-opthalmologist at Emory's Eye Center (near Dr. Barrow's office, it appears) on Tuesday (1/18/11) to hopefully figure out why I STILL (after almost 17 months post surgery) have double vision and find a managable 'resolution' to this problem. I made the appt. 4 or 5 months ago (apparently, there aren't any NEURO-opthalmologists within the NE GA area - Atlanta's Emory Eye Center is the closest place I've found).)

Denice & Sherry: Congrats. on the Gamma Knife treatments! Sooooooooo happy for you two!

Barbara: Thank you for the extra personal information you shared with me privately!

Brian: I hope to NEVER have to go through this again. I don't plan on having surgery again and I am extremely grateful for Dr. Schultz (in Gainesville) but I just think I should be seeing someone with more knowledge about AVMs. (I still really find Dr. Schultz very skillfully competent & I do like him/his mannerims, etc. but I think I should (also) see someone who has more experience with our 'rare' issue (AVM). I have a follow-up appt. with Dr. Schultz on 2/01/11 & I plan on keeping it. I'm so tired of not being able to COMPLETELY trust ANY of the doctors to 'have our backs'/our best health interest & having to research EVERYTHING for myself (& right now, I just don't have the time to do that) about our rare condition.) Did you ever find yourself another neuro doctor? Did you get another opinion (or a recent opinion, etc.) about your 'wait and see' option? Have you seen Dr. Barrow or anyone outside of GA about yours?

They said it could possibly change my life as in normal every day things. Speech, motor skills personality. Every nerosergin I have ever talked to has said they way it is now the best thing for my quality of life is to just keep monitoring it. And if a week spot or aneurism occurs to fix it then.. And my drs don't expect anything occurring. To me it has been stable for my life time why mess with it..


Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to know that there are no weak spots, etc. Out of curiosity, let me ask you this then: can they not try to fix one 'cluster' at a time?

Brian Hursey said:

Iv seen the scans and researched into it over the past couple years. It is not one cluster its about 4 - 5 clusters spread throughout the left brain. The CTA layed it all out in a 3d model. There are no weak spots or aneurisms. Mainly they are not the traditional clusters of a normal avm they are malformed veins. Some are tangled some are not. Talking with him they are away from the high pressure areas. So really im not looking at fixing it because in my case fixing it will cause to much damage because they would have to treat multiple parts of the brain lessening blood flow to important parts of my brain. He along with all the other seargins said it would be crazy to try and treat each area. It would cause to much damage. Basically of one area shows trouble we can treat that one area. So I am one of those rair cases I guess where the best option and safest option would be to wait and see. He said given the vein structure if I bleed it would most likely be a slow bleed. So I would know it. And he says there is a very good chance it may never bleed..

Here is one of the scans.. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4501126720_8880365363_o.png

Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to hear it has not changed (for the worse, that is)! Reviewed in 1998...12-13 years later = there may be better options for you now. Worth checking into, at the very least because it is your health (& I believe you do have a little one at home, which I'm sure she wants you healthy & around for as long as possible). (Girls really do grow up to be 'Daddy's girl'.)

Brian Hursey said:
I have had 2 neurologist in my time my current one specializes in avm's and sleep disorders and my case in 1998 was reviewed at the national neurological convention as a case study and they all concluded it would cause more damage to try and fix it then wait and see. They said most likely i will live a full life without it ever bursting. I get a scan every 2 years to look for changes in the structure that would cause issues. So far nothing. Although I need to get in shape so blood pressure wont be an issue when im older...

Cindy Phillips said:

Hi everyone! Thank you ALL for the information!!! I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Sherry: I had emergency brain surgery because mine burst & hemorrhaged in Aug. 2009. The hemorrhage caused me to have a hemorrhagic stroke, which effected my left side (I write with my left hand) and my vision, so complete recovery efforts have been 'hindered'. I moved to Habersham county (originally from the Habersham county area but have made Hall county my home for approx. 10 yrs. prior to my AVM ordeal - with you being in White county & your mother in Stephens county, I assume you know the quiet area of Habersham county -) a few months ago and trying to re-establish some 'normalcy' back into my life and get fully recovered.

Barbara, Denice, & Sherry: Did you have to wait a long time (weeks, months, etc.) to get an appt. with him after you called Emory for an appt.? (I have an appt. with a neuro-opthalmologist at Emory's Eye Center (near Dr. Barrow's office, it appears) on Tuesday (1/18/11) to hopefully figure out why I STILL (after almost 17 months post surgery) have double vision and find a managable 'resolution' to this problem. I made the appt. 4 or 5 months ago (apparently, there aren't any NEURO-opthalmologists within the NE GA area - Atlanta's Emory Eye Center is the closest place I've found).)

Denice & Sherry: Congrats. on the Gamma Knife treatments! Sooooooooo happy for you two!

Barbara: Thank you for the extra personal information you shared with me privately!

Brian: I hope to NEVER have to go through this again. I don't plan on having surgery again and I am extremely grateful for Dr. Schultz (in Gainesville) but I just think I should be seeing someone with more knowledge about AVMs. (I still really find Dr. Schultz very skillfully competent & I do like him/his mannerims, etc. but I think I should (also) see someone who has more experience with our 'rare' issue (AVM). I have a follow-up appt. with Dr. Schultz on 2/01/11 & I plan on keeping it. I'm so tired of not being able to COMPLETELY trust ANY of the doctors to 'have our backs'/our best health interest & having to research EVERYTHING for myself (& right now, I just don't have the time to do that) about our rare condition.) Did you ever find yourself another neuro doctor? Did you get another opinion (or a recent opinion, etc.) about your 'wait and see' option? Have you seen Dr. Barrow or anyone outside of GA about yours?

I understand your point and view... and I'm not trying to get you to do anything against what YOU have choosen for yourself; rather, I am merely asking so you are confident in your decision with the complete knowledge that you are 100% aware of all the options for you. (More & more, I see all types of physicans NOT telling their patients EVERYTHING they SHOULD and that REALLY bothers me to no avail.)

Which two neurologists were your physican again? Are you doing anything 'special' to help ensure your safety by not doing anything that would 'promote' a bleed to occur?

Brian Hursey said:

They said it could possibly change my life as in normal every day things. Speech, motor skills personality. Every nerosergin I have ever talked to has said they way it is now the best thing for my quality of life is to just keep monitoring it. And if a week spot or aneurism occurs to fix it then.. And my drs don't expect anything occurring. To me it has been stable for my life time why mess with it..


Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to know that there are no weak spots, etc. Out of curiosity, let me ask you this then: can they not try to fix one 'cluster' at a time?

Brian Hursey said:

Iv seen the scans and researched into it over the past couple years. It is not one cluster its about 4 - 5 clusters spread throughout the left brain. The CTA layed it all out in a 3d model. There are no weak spots or aneurisms. Mainly they are not the traditional clusters of a normal avm they are malformed veins. Some are tangled some are not. Talking with him they are away from the high pressure areas. So really im not looking at fixing it because in my case fixing it will cause to much damage because they would have to treat multiple parts of the brain lessening blood flow to important parts of my brain. He along with all the other seargins said it would be crazy to try and treat each area. It would cause to much damage. Basically of one area shows trouble we can treat that one area. So I am one of those rair cases I guess where the best option and safest option would be to wait and see. He said given the vein structure if I bleed it would most likely be a slow bleed. So I would know it. And he says there is a very good chance it may never bleed..

Here is one of the scans.. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4501126720_8880365363_o.png

Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to hear it has not changed (for the worse, that is)! Reviewed in 1998...12-13 years later = there may be better options for you now. Worth checking into, at the very least because it is your health (& I believe you do have a little one at home, which I'm sure she wants you healthy & around for as long as possible). (Girls really do grow up to be 'Daddy's girl'.)

Brian Hursey said:
I have had 2 neurologist in my time my current one specializes in avm's and sleep disorders and my case in 1998 was reviewed at the national neurological convention as a case study and they all concluded it would cause more damage to try and fix it then wait and see. They said most likely i will live a full life without it ever bursting. I get a scan every 2 years to look for changes in the structure that would cause issues. So far nothing. Although I need to get in shape so blood pressure wont be an issue when im older...

Cindy Phillips said:

Hi everyone! Thank you ALL for the information!!! I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Sherry: I had emergency brain surgery because mine burst & hemorrhaged in Aug. 2009. The hemorrhage caused me to have a hemorrhagic stroke, which effected my left side (I write with my left hand) and my vision, so complete recovery efforts have been 'hindered'. I moved to Habersham county (originally from the Habersham county area but have made Hall county my home for approx. 10 yrs. prior to my AVM ordeal - with you being in White county & your mother in Stephens county, I assume you know the quiet area of Habersham county -) a few months ago and trying to re-establish some 'normalcy' back into my life and get fully recovered.

Barbara, Denice, & Sherry: Did you have to wait a long time (weeks, months, etc.) to get an appt. with him after you called Emory for an appt.? (I have an appt. with a neuro-opthalmologist at Emory's Eye Center (near Dr. Barrow's office, it appears) on Tuesday (1/18/11) to hopefully figure out why I STILL (after almost 17 months post surgery) have double vision and find a managable 'resolution' to this problem. I made the appt. 4 or 5 months ago (apparently, there aren't any NEURO-opthalmologists within the NE GA area - Atlanta's Emory Eye Center is the closest place I've found).)

Denice & Sherry: Congrats. on the Gamma Knife treatments! Sooooooooo happy for you two!

Barbara: Thank you for the extra personal information you shared with me privately!

Brian: I hope to NEVER have to go through this again. I don't plan on having surgery again and I am extremely grateful for Dr. Schultz (in Gainesville) but I just think I should be seeing someone with more knowledge about AVMs. (I still really find Dr. Schultz very skillfully competent & I do like him/his mannerims, etc. but I think I should (also) see someone who has more experience with our 'rare' issue (AVM). I have a follow-up appt. with Dr. Schultz on 2/01/11 & I plan on keeping it. I'm so tired of not being able to COMPLETELY trust ANY of the doctors to 'have our backs'/our best health interest & having to research EVERYTHING for myself (& right now, I just don't have the time to do that) about our rare condition.) Did you ever find yourself another neuro doctor? Did you get another opinion (or a recent opinion, etc.) about your 'wait and see' option? Have you seen Dr. Barrow or anyone outside of GA about yours?

Dr. Edward Goldstein and Dr. Michel Lacy. I know my options.. I am completely confident in my decision.. I know all the options and have reaserched into them. If it was a single cluster like a traditional avm I would probably get it treated..

With unruptured AVM's there is no proof on weather interveaning or not interveaning is better or not. There currently is actualy a reserch study on this..

http://arubastudy.org/frameSetDescripTrial.html

To prevent a bleed I have stopped riding roller coasters or do anything rough like that and im trying to get in shape and eat healthier. The only thing I was told to make sure in watch is my blood pressure.



Cindy Phillips said:

I understand your point and view... and I'm not trying to get you to do anything against what YOU have choosen for yourself; rather, I am merely asking so you are confident in your decision with the complete knowledge that you are 100% aware of all the options for you. (More & more, I see all types of physicans NOT telling their patients EVERYTHING they SHOULD and that REALLY bothers me to no avail.)

Which two neurologists were your physican again? Are you doing anything 'special' to help ensure your safety by not doing anything that would 'promote' a bleed to occur?

Brian Hursey said:

They said it could possibly change my life as in normal every day things. Speech, motor skills personality. Every nerosergin I have ever talked to has said they way it is now the best thing for my quality of life is to just keep monitoring it. And if a week spot or aneurism occurs to fix it then.. And my drs don't expect anything occurring. To me it has been stable for my life time why mess with it..


Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to know that there are no weak spots, etc. Out of curiosity, let me ask you this then: can they not try to fix one 'cluster' at a time?

Brian Hursey said:

Iv seen the scans and researched into it over the past couple years. It is not one cluster its about 4 - 5 clusters spread throughout the left brain. The CTA layed it all out in a 3d model. There are no weak spots or aneurisms. Mainly they are not the traditional clusters of a normal avm they are malformed veins. Some are tangled some are not. Talking with him they are away from the high pressure areas. So really im not looking at fixing it because in my case fixing it will cause to much damage because they would have to treat multiple parts of the brain lessening blood flow to important parts of my brain. He along with all the other seargins said it would be crazy to try and treat each area. It would cause to much damage. Basically of one area shows trouble we can treat that one area. So I am one of those rair cases I guess where the best option and safest option would be to wait and see. He said given the vein structure if I bleed it would most likely be a slow bleed. So I would know it. And he says there is a very good chance it may never bleed..

Here is one of the scans.. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4501126720_8880365363_o.png

Cindy Phillips said:

Glad to hear it has not changed (for the worse, that is)! Reviewed in 1998...12-13 years later = there may be better options for you now. Worth checking into, at the very least because it is your health (& I believe you do have a little one at home, which I'm sure she wants you healthy & around for as long as possible). (Girls really do grow up to be 'Daddy's girl'.)

Brian Hursey said:
I have had 2 neurologist in my time my current one specializes in avm's and sleep disorders and my case in 1998 was reviewed at the national neurological convention as a case study and they all concluded it would cause more damage to try and fix it then wait and see. They said most likely i will live a full life without it ever bursting. I get a scan every 2 years to look for changes in the structure that would cause issues. So far nothing. Although I need to get in shape so blood pressure wont be an issue when im older...

Cindy Phillips said:

Hi everyone! Thank you ALL for the information!!! I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Sherry: I had emergency brain surgery because mine burst & hemorrhaged in Aug. 2009. The hemorrhage caused me to have a hemorrhagic stroke, which effected my left side (I write with my left hand) and my vision, so complete recovery efforts have been 'hindered'. I moved to Habersham county (originally from the Habersham county area but have made Hall county my home for approx. 10 yrs. prior to my AVM ordeal - with you being in White county & your mother in Stephens county, I assume you know the quiet area of Habersham county -) a few months ago and trying to re-establish some 'normalcy' back into my life and get fully recovered.

Barbara, Denice, & Sherry: Did you have to wait a long time (weeks, months, etc.) to get an appt. with him after you called Emory for an appt.? (I have an appt. with a neuro-opthalmologist at Emory's Eye Center (near Dr. Barrow's office, it appears) on Tuesday (1/18/11) to hopefully figure out why I STILL (after almost 17 months post surgery) have double vision and find a managable 'resolution' to this problem. I made the appt. 4 or 5 months ago (apparently, there aren't any NEURO-opthalmologists within the NE GA area - Atlanta's Emory Eye Center is the closest place I've found).)

Denice & Sherry: Congrats. on the Gamma Knife treatments! Sooooooooo happy for you two!

Barbara: Thank you for the extra personal information you shared with me privately!

Brian: I hope to NEVER have to go through this again. I don't plan on having surgery again and I am extremely grateful for Dr. Schultz (in Gainesville) but I just think I should be seeing someone with more knowledge about AVMs. (I still really find Dr. Schultz very skillfully competent & I do like him/his mannerims, etc. but I think I should (also) see someone who has more experience with our 'rare' issue (AVM). I have a follow-up appt. with Dr. Schultz on 2/01/11 & I plan on keeping it. I'm so tired of not being able to COMPLETELY trust ANY of the doctors to 'have our backs'/our best health interest & having to research EVERYTHING for myself (& right now, I just don't have the time to do that) about our rare condition.) Did you ever find yourself another neuro doctor? Did you get another opinion (or a recent opinion, etc.) about your 'wait and see' option? Have you seen Dr. Barrow or anyone outside of GA about yours?

Hi Cindy,

Dr. Barrow removed my AVM in 1996. He has and forever will be at the top of my list when it comes to doctors! You will know when you meet him that he is a very confident and skilled surgeon. It brought me a great sense of comfort the day of the surgery to know that I was in the hands of someone who is an expert in his area of speciality. It is not hard at all to get an appt with him. Wishing you the best for your recovery!

Paula

I've been reading some more of my medical records today (Tuesday, actually) and I am doing a 'double take' at what I am reading (= absolutely stunned/shocked). Some of my medical records refer to my 'ordeal' (as I call it) as an "AVM" and another says "AV fistula" ("AV fistula resection of the 4th ventricle involving the choroid plexus" and "suboccipital craniotomy"), so now I am uncertain which is/was the case (AVM or AV fistula) & the whether or not there is 'potential' for AV fistulas to potentially 're-grow' (such as the case with AVMs).

(According to my medical records, an angiogram was performed on me right after my surgery at the hospital ('VERY potent hospital drugs' allowed me to not recall this event happening... nor the majority of the things that occurred during my 35 day stay in the hospital actually) and it showed no 'residual' left (THANK GOD) of the "AVM".) At my 6 month neurosurgeon follow-up, I had a CT scan (without contrast) done (instead of an MRI/MRA or angiogram). (I admit that this greatly bothered/unnerved me & was puzzling to me after I read others on here say (& also through my own research) that angiograms are the 'gold standard' to detect whether an AVM is actually gone or if there are any 'residual' left of it.) Since the angio that was performed post surgery in the hospital showed no residual was left after the surgery and CT scans are supposely good for detecting hydrocephalus, I can only spectulate (via an 'educated guess') that the immediate concern/danger would been reoccurrence of hydrocephalus; therefore, a CT scan was performed to check for any re-occurring hydrocephalus (which was not the case - again, THANK GOD).)

John & Dewey (& anyone one else with pertinent knowledge): Can you please provide me with any & all information you know about AV fistulas? Recurrence rate, is/are there any incident(s) of OR potential chance there could be multiple AV fistulas in the body (whether it's solely in the brain or in the brain & other body parts, etc.), a would the same 'guidelines' for HHT apply to people that has/had an AV fistula as it does for AVM, etc.? (I realize that AV fistulas are rarer than even the rareness of AVMs; therefore, ANY & ALL information you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.)

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Thank you so much!

Paula Brock said:

Hi Cindy,

Dr. Barrow removed my AVM in 1996. He has and forever will be at the top of my list when it comes to doctors! You will know when you meet him that he is a very confident and skilled surgeon. It brought me a great sense of comfort the day of the surgery to know that I was in the hands of someone who is an expert in his area of speciality. It is not hard at all to get an appt with him. Wishing you the best for your recovery!

Paula

Cindy,

I'm a bit slow responding, I hope you had you appointment with Dr. Barrow. Dr. Barrow and his team saved my life when other hospitals turned me away (in fact, my neurologist, said the only one who could help me was Dr. Barrow at Emory). When my AVM ruptured in 2005, I had a stroke and I was pretty off. Of course, I do not remember much; but, bits and pieces. Dr. Barrow removed my AVM when the swelling went down and then quickly got me into rehab. I hope Dr. Barrow can help you! Good luck,

Carolyn

Thank you, Carolyn. I know Dr. Barrow is a neuroSURGEON but do you know if he sees post-surgery patients (whom he has not operated on) as their neurologist? I’ve been looking into whether he does or doesn’t and really can’t find anything that states whether he does or doesn’t. (I may have to end up calling his office and asking, which is no big deal, … I just don’t want to hear the dreaded response of “Set up/make an appointment” in order to see/know.)

Carolyn A Baer said:

Cindy,

I'm a bit slow responding, I hope you had you appointment with Dr. Barrow. Dr. Barrow and his team saved my life when other hospitals turned me away (in fact, my neurologist, said the only one who could help me was Dr. Barrow at Emory). When my AVM ruptured in 2005, I had a stroke and I was pretty off. Of course, I do not remember much; but, bits and pieces. Dr. Barrow removed my AVM when the swelling went down and then quickly got me into rehab. I hope Dr. Barrow can help you! Good luck,

Carolyn

Just thought I'd give a quick informational update on what I'm learning/finding out:

Since our vascular ordeal(s) are rare and not many physicans are aware of them, I wanted to know if Dr. Barrow sees people (whom's AVMs have been removed) as his/her neurologist. (I am aware that Dr. Barrow is a neuroSURGEON with an exceptional AVM understanding & treatment reputation; therefore, I wondered if he saw people as his/her neurologist AFTER the AVM is gone or not.) In my quest to find out (b/c I am looking for a GOOOOOOD neurologist now that my neurosurgeon has said that I don't have to come back to him - unless I really needed to), here's what I've done so far:

(*) Called Dr. Barrow's office to ask. (The nice lady in the office is going to call me back with the answer.)

(*) Submitted the question through the "Ask a nurse" section on Emory's website. (The website said response time should be 1 business day, since I'm in the US.)

If anyone knows the answer to this question or has any tips on: (1) how to get Dr. Barrow to be the AVM neuroLOGIST for me since mine was removed by a different neurosurgeon or (2) knowledge of a GREAT neuroLOGIST (knowledgable with AVMs), I'd LOVE to know!

Thank you all, in advance!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!! (Keep smiling, believing, & loving!!!!!!!) :)

I was scheduled to see Dr. Barrow initially, and did get to meet with him. My PCP referred me to him and I was given an appointment. I hear he is very busy and travels quite a bit.

After my initial visit, he felt another Neurosurgeon Dr Nelson Oyesiku was the better person to handle the surgery. I met with Dr. Oyesiku and after his examination he concluded that Radiosurgery was the best option. Dr. Ian Crocker was brought in to handle this. Both of them worked together on my treatment.

Hope this helps.

Kene

Thank you, Kene. Putting the information out here for people is VERY helpful. Thank you so very much.

I have Dr barrow ar Emory and he is amazing. My radiation /oncologist Dr Crocker is such an amazing man.I have also done research. On these drs and they are about the best not only in the usa but they travel to europe also. And drs in gainsville Ga which is only 45 Mins from me but they are not qualified to touch someone with an avm. If you have any other questions please let me know

Dr Barrow performed my surgery, and I feel like I had the best outcome possible. He was great to speak with, and his surgical skills are top notch! To get an appointment with him I had to have my primary care physician call for me to get the appointment. I had the appointment quickly and then the surgery shortly after the consult.

Best wishes!
George

I love dr barrow

Cindy, I see you go back to 2012 with Dr. Barrow at Emory University and I got the privilege of meeting Dr. Barrow in Dec. 2012 and Dr. Barrow operated on Jan. 8, 2013. I had AVM at T 9 Spinal Cord. I also live in northeast Ga. original from west Marietta but live in Blairsville Mtns. at present time. For a 6 to 9 months I attended Sheperds Spinal Hospital in Atlanta as well. I have finalized in having Brown Sequard Syndrome for ever. Not fun but would be happy to communicate with you since we do live very close and have used the same Doctor.

I was a Brainstem CM. Also originally diagnosed by NEGA Nuerology. I was referred to Dr Barrow. My original diagnosis was untreatable. My best guess is that it’s a scheduling thing. That if you want him and are a less interesting case, you have to be more flexible about when. Your Nuero can set up appointment for you, mine did.

After surgery & recovery, I haven’t spoken to him. I don’t know anything about follow ups.

Samuel Milton 3 is who I was handed off to for rehabilitation & recovery. He coordinated all my rehab follow up surgeries etc. Sounds like this is where you’re at. He’s also with Emory.

Hi, Jeremy. Jimmy Camp here in Georgia and I also went to and operated on my body by Dr.Barron at Emory university medical center . That was 6 years ago. My AVM was in my spinal cord at T9. I have survived but lost use of left leg. I haven’t stopped work and the only real thing I had to give up was riding motorcycles. I do have difficulties and burning pain but I just love with and keep. Be nice to hear from you since we both used the same Doctor. Your friend Jimmy C

Hey Jimmie. December 2014. Mine was in the Brainstem. He was the only Dr that would do it. I’ve got lots of deficits. But, I did start working again last year. Part time cashier but still improving. My life changed dramatically but thankfully I’m still alive. Thanks to Dr Barrow.

1 Like