Does the short term memory ever come back?

Hi, my name is Leesah, and I am the mother of a wonderful 11 year old who almost died 5/6/10 from an AVM/Aneurysm Rupture. She was in ICU for 14 days, and in the hospital for a total of 3 months. My question is this, as of today, her short term memory is pretty much non existant, however, every now and then, something will “click” and she will remember something? I know its only been the longest 4 months of our lives, but can anyone tell me if they/their loved ones have had their short term memory come back after such and extreme incident?

Hi Leesah my daughter still has problems with memory and it has been 6 months since surgery.

It seems to be after talking to our doctor that it does relate to if the area of the brain that had the bleed which directly influences the memory(if the bleed was in the Temporal Lobe) to whether there is a permanent memory problems.

My daughter remembers some things but use aids as well. She has had her assessment from her neuropsychologist and we now have some techniques to help with this. But we have been unable to get a clear answer on how much or if at all her memory will improve. It seems to be wait & see.

It seems possible that her brain will make new pathways but there doesn’t seem like there is a definite yes or no.

Sorry not more help but we seem to be stuck on the same problem.

thank you for your reply…I believe the bleed was in the left frontal lobe, actuallly it was almost in the center of the two lobes. Its the wierdest thing…some things catch, like when and who gives her a gift, but she wakes up everyday not knowing what day it is…Well, I guess there are more things to be worried about than her memory…God Bless you and your daughter.

Emma said:

Hi Leesah my daughter still has problems with memory and it has been 6 months since surgery.

It seems to be after talking to our doctor that it does relate to if the area of the brain that had the bleed which directly influences the memory(if the bleed was in the Temporal Lobe) to whether there is a permanent memory problems.

My daughter remembers some things but use aids as well. She has had her assessment from her neuropsychologist and we now have some techniques to help with this. But we have been unable to get a clear answer on how much or if at all her memory will improve. It seems to be wait & see.

It seems possible that her brain will make new pathways but there doesn’t seem like there is a definite yes or no.

Hi Leesah,

I had a massive AVM/aneurysm rupture at 34 in the right parietal. I’ve had a wonderful recovery, so I can tell you from experience that your brain can create the neuropathways. No one knows the future, but I found with all the initial deficits, just constant repetitious to re-train the skill, while incredibly boring, really helpful. For short-term memory, mine was affected, and to this day I’ll put a timer on when I put something on the stove, otherwise it’s fine. I would really suggest fun games to teach short term memory, and to eat lots of veggies and fruit. I eat tons of blueberries and spinach, and I’ve got to think that helps to fuel yourself well. However, it never was really terrible, just below average.

It really is loads of time to learn anything, and may be longer and harder than it would be without the injury. Having fun and exercise always helps me too. My best advice is to try to make it in fun ways, and to try to take the progress as it goes.

best of luck to you!

I’m glad to hear that Sharyn Laney has had a good recovery. Sometimes, reading this site I feel embarrassed. I may have problems, but much less than most people.

Regarding your question, several medical and psychological doctors have told me that it takes 9 to 12 months to complete the memory recovery from this type of operation. With me, it was at the long end of 12 months. Sharyn’s suggestions are excellent. Begin them by discussion with doctors so you all work in a coordinated manner. Work in this method helps a lot.

I had my operation back in 1989. When I was home 6 weeks, I asked my work to bring my computer home. I could barely stand as the Director of Engineering carried the computer into my house and set it up for me. Back then, computers were big and heavy. It was a good tool for me to review and retrain myself. Sharyn, thank you for pointing this out. Not only for Leesah, but now I remember to do it myself. The retraining never stops.

Short term memory is a big casualty for me also. I’m working on methods of handling the situation like Sharyn’s techniques. Besides working on my own, I’ve had a complete nueropsychological test recently. This is where they test different types of IQ, ADHD, Depression, etc. It was a very long 5 hour test. But, it provides information on exactly what damage was done. Now, I’ve begun to review it with my psychologist to determine how to use this information to improve my life.

Your comment on how something will “click” is a good description of how my memory works.

So, 9 to 12 months for most of the recovery. The more retraining and training during and after that period will maximize her recovery. Work together with the doctors to get the correct testing and the best improvements.

Please don’t think I’m issuing orders to you. Most of this was written so I could have to follow my own rules. It’s hard to follow rules when I don’t remember them.

I know the first few months is very tough on the caregiver. It was also tough on my wife. However, I know and have thanked her many times. Her loving and help carried me through some of the roughest times in my life.

Hi Leesah. My bleed/crani was 2 1/2 years ago. Short term memory is a constant struggle for me. It is much better than in the weeks right after my surgeries. It is the most frustrating thing for me. I’ll put down my wallet and go to get a minute later and don’t remember where I put it. I spend probably 50% of my day looking for things that I just put down. Like you said, it’s very random. I never know what I’m going to forget. I write everything down and make sure I tell someone else about important things in case I forget to write something down or forget to put it in my computer. Good luck to you and your daughter. So young to have gone through all of this!

I had similar problems.
Usually in a minor the Neuropsychologist should do tests before & after intervention to treat the AVM.
Without short Term memory one finds it difficult to retain a subtotal to carry over to the total, in maths for example.

One of our friends who is an anesthesiologist suffered a bleed and suggested after my husbands bleed suggested that he do things like word search and things like that to challenge your brain. It has really helped them both a lot so it might be worth a try. Ior neurosurgeon told us that it takes a full year t o really recover and regain much if what you will back. My husband still struggles a little sometimes two years out but is significantly better. Your daughter us so young that she will have a much better chance if regaining some of her defects. God bless you both and I am sure she will do well. Laurie

Woops my husband also had a situation as severe as your daughters and has made almost a full recovery. It does get better over time even though it sometimes seems so slow. Hang in there. Laurie

Leesah, It will get better. Your daughter will also learn ways to remember what she needs to know. And because she’s a young girl, she will improve better and sooner than older AVM Survivors. God bless her!

Thank you for replying…lots of great suggestions…We had her follow-up with the Neurosurgeon today and he is estatic at the recovery she has made…Only time will tell as far as the memory is concerned, we have a theory about it, so we are going to put it to the test…Hope for your daughters recovery to continue. God Bless.

Exactly…like the other day, we were looking in her binder, for school, and in the front there is a pocket, well, she had put her pencil in it…she said Mom, this is where I keep my pencil…I said good idea…not 2 minutes later, after looking at some of her work, she saw the pencil and said…hey, I found my pencil, not even remembering that she had intentionally put it there…she is being tested at school, so we are to have a meeting Oct. 6, to determine exactly what kind of assistance she is going to get at school…
the only problem is that they say they havent really had a child that was not born with a disability before. So we are all learning together…This is so frustrating sometimes…Thank you.
Trish said:

Hi Leesah. My bleed/crani was 2 1/2 years ago. Short term memory is a constant struggle for me. It is much better than in the weeks right after my surgeries. It is the most frustrating thing for me. I’ll put down my wallet and go to get a minute later and don’t remember where I put it. I spend probably 50% of my day looking for things that I just put down. Like you said, it’s very random. I never know what I’m going to forget. I write everything down and make sure I tell someone else about important things in case I forget to write something down or forget to put it in my computer. Good luck to you and your daughter. So young to have gone through all of this!

Trish,

I lose things all the time as well. What I do now is basically make a place for everything. I have a basket for my keys and phone, so I always know where to find them. If I don’t put things in their correct place - I can never find them.

Trish said:

Hi,
I am a mom of a 10 year old who almost died on 5.26.10 when her AVM ruptured. She was in the ICU for 31 days and inpatient for 41 days and finally home now. Her AVM and aneurysm was able to be removed in June 2010. Her AVM was in her left Temoral lobe. She has some short term memory issues, like school learning and playing the memory game is really hard. My daughters main issue is speech. Due to it being in the temporal lobe, her speech is severly affected, only saying about 10 words now. Where was your childs AVM? Time is on our side, being a child, other brain areas try to pick up where it can’t . It seems like 5 years have gone by but only 4 months have. Time is the answer… hope this helps…

Hi, Does your daughter have speech issues? My daughter has severe speech issues from the left temporal lobe, short term memory follows but is not as bad as speech. How long did it take for speech to come back? We are 4 months out and she says only 10 words currently. Thanks

Emma said:

James, that’s great advice. I really do try to do that most of the time, but if I ever vary where I put something, I’m screwed!

Hi Leesah, my Avm/aneurysm rupture was 8 years ago, my short term memory was horrible at the time and still 8 years later I have days where it’s ok & others when it’s bad. My 5 year old daughter will yell at me for asking or telling her the same thing over and over. I guess it’s just something that comes with it. Hope your daughter is well…

hi leesah i had a massive bleed the first time.the 2nd time (10 years later) i lost my short term memory as soon as my 1st treatment was over.it comes & goes now. but the thing is i have 2 kids & i dont remember alot about their childhood ,sometimes a smell or something will bring something back.an avm never leaves us un touched.best of luck to u and your daughter

My daughters speech is great…the only problem, if any, is that she is much more soft spoken now since she was intubated for 14 days. It took her about a month to really be able to talk to us, but she still has problems pronouncing words that she knew before. Please feel free to contact me via my email at leeluvsggd@yahoo.com so that we can communicate further. I will pray for you…Prayer is the only answer. You have to leave it in God’s hands and just remember, no matter how she turns out, at least she is still with you…that is ALL that matters.

Renee Ximanies said:

Hi,
I am a mom of a 10 year old who almost died on 5.26.10 when her AVM ruptured. She was in the ICU for 31 days and inpatient for 41 days and finally home now. Her AVM and aneurysm was able to be removed in June 2010. Her AVM was in her left Temoral lobe. She has some short term memory issues, like school learning and playing the memory game is really hard. My daughters main issue is speech. Due to it being in the temporal lobe, her speech is severly affected, only saying about 10 words now. Where was your childs AVM? Time is on our side, being a child, other brain areas try to pick up where it can’t . It seems like 5 years have gone by but only 4 months have. Time is the answer… hope this helps…

Hi Leesah I still have problems since 98. I try to write down things to rember, but I forget that I write anything down or where I wrote them down at. To keep from getting depreesed I just laugh it off. I still hope it will get better. When I get confused, like butting my shirt etc. I close my eyes & most times it works. My friends don"t make A issue out of it anymore, that helps my depresion. Just rember we are not stupid we just do not rember…