Does it matter whom performs your cerebral angiogram?

I’m very particular and specific about the doctors I use, and I try to go to the best I can, but how much does it matter whom performs my cerebral angiogram? Is it fairly routine, or should I choose someone more skilled if I can? I may have to wait months longer if I continue searching, but I don’t want to rush anything either.

Tacos,

Previous to @carolb01 's experience, I’d have said that it shouldn’t matter but I think Carol had some less experienced people do her angiogram and she had a bit of a nightmare.

I’d say, as long as they have done a number of angios you should be fine but you don’t want anyone “practicing” medicine on you!

Hope this helps. I’d say don’t look up Carol’s story as it won’t encourage you. Just satisfy yourself that they know what they are doing. Carol might disagree :face_with_head_bandage:

Very best wishes

Richard

1 Like

hiya ,just seen this ,i think i was just unlucky as after speaking to the doctor after my experience it seem that this had only happened once in ten years of the guy doing it and that for some reason my femoral artery is much higher than the norm so that is why it happened ,i was very anxious as i had never had a angiogram before but even after the problem that i encountered i would still go back to the same guy and would not be worried at all if i need another ,please don’t worry as having that angio has changed the course of my treatment they really are gold standard for getting things going in the right direction ,xx

1 Like

Hello @tacos4life.
It most certainly does.
Whether it be a routine angio or one where there is an embolization done, these procedures should not be taken lightly.
They seem to be listed or spoken of as “non-invasive”, which I strongly disagree with.
I don’t want to cause additional fear or anxiety, but my first stroke was caused by one of these in tandem with an embo, pre-craniotomy.
In my case a skilled neurosurgeon along with a neurointerventional radiology team were involved. I got my first tactile stereognosis from this stroke on my affected side.

Everyone’s brains and location of eloquence in regard to their AVMs are very different.

I only state these things to make it clear that one should go into a procedure like this one with all of the facts, knowing risks.

For me, it came down to trusting the team who worked on me and my faith in their skill.
As you can see, the best of the best can always have things happen. Angio surpasses any FMRI or MRI, and sometimes the live depiction of feeding veins and draining arteries can only be witnessed this way, in real time.

Good luck to you with everything!
Sincerely,
Dick

1 Like