Does anyone ever needed a blood transfusion for the surgery? My son will be going for surgery in April,

Does anyone needed a blood transfusion for the surgery to remove AMV (crainiotomy)? Is it beneficial to take the iron supplements before the surgery?

tks

Lillian

I'm not sure what type of surgery you are referring to or where the AVM is located. I'm not aware of people needing blood transfusions. Typically, fixing an AVM involves sealing off blood vessels, so I don't think there is much blood loss.

No clue about supplements.

Ron, KS

Hello Lillian, I had a crainotomy (?) in July 2009 and needed 5pts of blood as my AVM was much bigger than shown on the MIR and it took the surgeon a long top to stop the bleeding. However, please don't panic as mine was like most other AVMs, they are all different. We didn't take any supplements as we had no idea what could happen and mine was very different. I am sure your son will get through this very well and I look forward to hearing your son is well and came through with flying colours!

My thoughts and prayers for yourson and your family.xx

I know they said I might need it during the surgery, but not sure if they ever used it… It was never mentioned afterwards.