Doctor recommendation for uterine AVM

I am looking for a doctor who has experience in treating uterine AVM's for women who wish to have children. I am having no luck. I need a doctor in the united states. Thank you

Try Dr. Anthony Venbrux, in the interventional radiology dept at GW hospital in Washington, DC. He successfully treated my uterine artery avm in 2013, had done several before me, and was very sensitive about fertility concerns. I have a healthy 14-month-old now. :slight_smile:

Dr. Sunita Srivastava at the Cleveland clinic. She’s my vascular surgeon and although my avm isn’t uterine it’s close and she’s always been very cautious to not hurt my chances of getting pregnant. I have loved her and felt safe under her care since the day I met her and the clinic is the best in the country for heart and vascular care! Good luck I hope you find someone who can help

Thank you Bulldog.I called to make an appointment with Dr. Venbrux but they want my current doctor to perform an MRI first. Funny thing is I requested an MRI two weeks ago and my current doctor said there was no need. Well apparently there was! My current doctor honestly has no clue how to treat this condition and when I ask questions the reply is always "I don't know, these are rare". May ask you if your AVM was resolving at all before getting the embolization? Is Dr. Venbrux knowledgeable enough to answer the simplest of questions I may have? Thanks again!

"I don't know, these are rare" isn't good enough! I'd definitely insist on the MRI if your doc really thinks it might be an AVM. Perhaps if your bleeding tapers off and stops for a while, it might indicate it's improved--I recall my OB telling me something about how if I'd continued to have bleeding after having the AVM treated (meaning it was improved but not fully gone), she'd just treat me with BC pills to reduce the bleeding. But even though the amount of bleeding I had before having the AVM treated varied from time to time, it never fully stopped for more than a few hours, and was often very heavy. My OB was adamant that I get a clear diagnosis of whether or not it was an AVM, and have it treated, before trying to get pregnant again b/c delivery with a uterine artery AVM can be quite dangerous (hemorrhage risk). Ultrasound imaging was good enough to raise suspicion of an AVM but not to rule out ALL other causes of post-m/c bleeding. MRI gave a lot more confidence to the possibility it really was an AVM. If you can't get your doc to order an MRI, you might try calling Dr. Venbrux's office back and asking whether there's any other way they'd suggest getting one. Perhaps his office could order it directly.

To answer your other question, he is extraordinarily knowledgeable, answered all of my questions, big and small, and was clear about the knowns and unknowns.

Well I’m actually admitted into the hospital right now. My blood levels dropped and I started hemorrhaging again. We are all very confused because every ultrasound has shown this my avm is shrinking but the smaller it gets the more I bleed! I finally had an mri today in the hospital and I’m going to take a copy to dr venbrux. His office was able to squeeze me next week! It’s a three hour drive but I’m sure it will be totally worth it. These sudden hemmorages need to stop! I can deal with bleeding everyday but not gushing blood for hours… Urgh, this is so stressful!