Do you think Blood Pressure has or had an affect on your AVM?

hi all my Docktors todl me due to mine bleedign that I WAS NOT TO DO ANYTHING that wodl get the blood presure up not even get out of bed fast as that the preser codl cause it to bleed again. they explaned it liek blowing up a bloon, a bloon filed up wont pop add a bit more air/presure it could blow,you jsut doen know when. it makes sence to me that hight blod pressure codl cause it… but the whle tiem i was in hospital and after my blood presure was perfect but you never know if the bit extra coudl cause it to burst… Gavin

I have no idea what my blood pressure was around the time of my bleed, but I’m guessing it would of been high. I’ve always speculated that the stress I was going through at the time could have had an impact on the bleed… though my doctor disagreed.

I always thought the blood pressure may have something to do with a bleed too. I know my neurologist told me not to run a marathon or anything but that I can keep working out-I also grew up on a farm and lifted heavy bales of hay & I do recall when I was 11years old throwing around some hay that I got a terrible headache & started vomiting-My mom never took me to the doctor, but I had a terrible headache for over six weeks & couldn’t open my eyes because it hurt so bad-I now think that i may have bled at that time, as most people are not sick for that long. I try to take it easy now though & keep my stress level as low as possible too because I worry it may cause a bleed. Thanks for your replies!

Marcylynn, I have historically had low blood pressure and no bleeds. However, I did perform strenuous training after the first two embolizations. I stopped after the third because I felt it may be contributing to the re-establishment of the AVM.
Think of your AVM as a bicycle inner tube. If you have ever inflated a used tube all by itself you will have noticed one part almost always balloons up bigger than the rest of the tube. That would be analogous to an aneurysm, a weakened spot in your blood vessel. However, it also serves as a model for an AVM.
The possibility of popping your tube (or your blood vessel!) is directly affected by the amount of pressure in the tube. Other factors include the age of the tube, the size of the weak spot, the duration of the increased pressure, etc. Some AVMs are directly connected between the artery and the vein via a fistula. In others the connection is less direct. In some there appears to be little or no detectable connection. This variability is what makes it so hard for the docs to predict the outcome of treatment as compared to non-treatment.
It also complicates the picture of whether an increase in blood pressure will have a detrimental affect. As a rule, it will, but there are always exceptions. Listen to your doc, he has the best information for your particular situation, even is it isn’t perfect. I hope this helps.
FB