Do aneurysms rarely burst?

Is it true that aneurysms rarely burst? This is what my doctor told me on my last visit, sometmes I don't know if my doctors are just fobbing me off because my avm is so big and awkward, they only found it because I had a ct scan after falling off my bike. They don't monitor my avm even though I've asked several times, there aren't enough resources in the public system. Keep up the good fight!

Hello, My aneurysm did burst, (2003) I think cause didnot take care soon. Too bad your drs. don't check you often. After my operation, had soo many MIRs/ct scans/ ex-rays, lost count. I thinkyou should find a Brain dr. Ask for referances around your local area. Good Luck

Mine burst and was the size of a plumb. I think I would defenitly seek a second opinion.

I've never heard or read that aneurysms rarely burst. I've also never heard that aneurysms seldom burst, but there's likely thousands of people walking around with a brain aneurysm that will live a full life and die of something else................

One thing seems likely to me--if your aneurysm does burst, you stand a high risk of having significant damage and / or might not survive it.......... The other thing is where you are located if/when it does burst. Are you very remote many miles from a high level trauma center, or are you always within a short ambulance ride to a place that will have a team on hand all the time that has fixed hundreds or thousands of brain aneurysms?

For us, picking the time and group of surgeons to fix it was pretty important.

Best wishes to you,
Ron, KS

Thanks guys, my neurosurgeon is pretty high up in Ireland where I live. I have to rely on my Dad to get private treatment or second opinions because he kept me on his insurance because I was 15 when they first found the avm. I am really grateful but he seems to think I'm fixed even though I've been having symptoms again for a couple of years. I'll just have to go to him again! Thanks for your help.

Hi Ron, I live in Ireland, so there isn't the high level of expertise that you would get elsewhere. There is one hospital that is the dedicated brain hospital, its about 30 mins from where I live. The anneurysm is between the two perietal lobes and looks to be a couple of inches down, looks about the size of a walnut. I had an angiogram at the end of March and am waiting on an appointment. My family were told it shouldn't bother me anymore when I was 17 and I think it has lulled them into a false sense of security.

I glad you were had the right people working with you and hope you don't suffer with too many aftereffects! Thanks for your input and best of luck :)

HI if its any good my Dr was Dr Marks in Cork University Hospital. My AVM burst when I was 8 and like you I didnt know much about it then but I do now 20year leater. If you want to chat or anything email me and I can send you on my number.

I would suggest a second opinon

Hi Bronagh, my avm hemorrhaged in 2010. Fortunately, I have recovered with few deficits, despite the loss of left peripheral vision.I was treated by the neurological team in Cork University hospital too and have undergone two angiograms since the bleed. At the moment, I'm waiting to be referred to Sheffield for the remaining residual a.v.m. Hope this helps! all the best, j.mo:)

Thanks JMO, I'm glad your doing well now, are you having Gamma knife in Sheffield?

I am interested in knowing how it feels ? I have a burning sensation in my head that just started also had a sharp pain I am concerned it may be an aneurysm—what does it feel like?