Disabled by AVM AND something else happens

In my case I simply broke a toe. A very minor thing but added to already being disabled and life is getting pretty difficult lately. I can’t for the next several weeks do even the basics. I can’t stand up long enough to do things like cook, wash dishes, fold laundry or iron. These things were most difficult before and now… WOW! There must be some of you out there who have been in the same position. What do you do? My life can’t stop because I got a wittew booboo on my footsie. My grass still grows, my house still gets dirty, I still need to eat, I still need clean clothes…
I have no health insurance and couldn’t POSSIBLY afford a care giver for even five minutes a month. I have very few friends here and those few I have help as much as they can but they have lives and families of their own. Can anyone point me in the direction of making life easier? I try to keep doing everything myself and by the end of each day my foot is swollen again and in as much pain as ever. At this rate I will never heal. I can’t even get around to try to make things that will help. So far all I have done is found a cloth bag so I can carry stuff around with me. Sitting on a tall stool to cook and wash dishes is a problem because I keep falling off due to my poor balance.
Suggestions anyone?
Robert

Robert,

I find I am also in the same perdicament except I have not broken my toe. My disabled Mother lives with me and I’m her caregiver. My AVM has weakened me to a point that I can’t do a task for more then a few minutes without suffering extreme pain and exhaustion.

I have a home that I now have to take care of alone. We’re on a very limited income so hiring someone to do the yardwork, (took me 3 1/2 hrs. yesterday to mow) or any other physically demanding task is out of the question.

I would also like to be able to find some magical resources to help. I’m sorry, I don’t have an answer for you but I do relate.

Kim

Robert, I wish I had some answers for you.
I just wanted to let you know your not alone. I have a different avm but the result is about the same.
It can be very frustrating.

Hi Robert,

I’ve been told that churches and other houses of worship are good places to inquire about getting help like you need around the house. Another possibility is to google for disability-related nonprofits in the area. Given your AVM, they might be able to find a way to get you some help.

JH

Thanks everyone.
Robert

JH said:

Hi Robert,

I’ve been told that churches and other houses of worship are good places to inquire about getting help like you need around the house. Another possibility is to google for disability-related nonprofits in the area. Given your AVM, they might be able to find a way to get you some help.

JH

Robert,
Do you have ACCESS in your state? If so, try contacting them, or possibly even a social worker @ your local hospital or the hospital’s rehab unit.

Take care and hang in there!

Patti

Hi Patti,

Can you give some more info on what ACCESS is? (I just want enough info to do a google search for it in my state.)

Thanks!

Patti Gilstrap said:

Robert,
Do you have ACCESS in your state? If so, try contacting them, or possibly even a social worker @ your local hospital or the hospital’s rehab unit.

Patti

Maybe you could devise some sort of rolling stool that you kneel on with the broken foot and use the other leg to propell yourself, then you can scoot yourself around to do your chores etc. I saw one once, a client who had surgery on his foot was using it. I was surprised at how well he got around. Look on the net for one to buy or just make one yourself. Just be careful to balance yourself so you don’t lose control and fall.

Good morning Robert,

S. Oregon’s ACCESS website is @ http://www.access-inc.org/index.asp. I’d gotten the impression it was a national organization since a friend of mine in Florida knew of it there.
Another good resource would be the senior centers of your area (it doesn’t matter when you’re not a ‘senior’).
I’m presently recovering from my 4th craniotomy which was in the thalamus (near the brainstem) and if it weren’t for my supportive husband, I too would be in a similar situation you’re facing, so can relate with what you must be going through.

Take care and hope this helps,
Patti

JH said:

Hi Patti,

Can you give some more info on what ACCESS is? (I just want enough info to do a google search for it in my state.)

Thanks!

Patti Gilstrap said:
Robert,

Patti