Difference with coil or onyx embo

I have had three onynx embos....this one is a coil....any diference? If you know please advise... Mare

Yes, Onyx is a glue-like substance. Almost like a superglue. Coils are small wires that they pack into larger vessels to scar them down and destroy that part of the AVM. Hope this helps.

HI, GLAD U ASKED THE QUESTION, GOING TO ASK MY DOC ABOUT THAT BECAUSE HE DID SAY AFTER MY EMBO ON THE 5TH THAT HE HAD COIL AT LEAST 35%OF IT SO I NEED TO ASK HIM JUST WHAT HE DID.

Hey everyone. Just confirming what’s already been said. Coil vs. onyx is just a different type of embolic agent as stated below. The procedure itself is the same and you won’t know the difference in what you feel or experience. I have a variety of embolic agents and lots of coils! Sometimes the reason for choosing one over the other has more to do with the doctors comfort level with administering the different options than one being “better” or different than the other.

Having said that, some embolic agents are more “permanent” than others and can be seen as better options for AVM’s that have a tendency to grow (mostly for the no-brainers) and create new paths around anything that creates just a “roadblock” so to speak.

The good thing about coils is that you get to brag about your inner-bling! As Jason stated, they are platinum! :slight_smile:

Mare that must be what they used on me this last time because they did not use the onyx. My first four embos were onyx. It makes me feel better since Shalon explained it. Either way all I know is this last embo was my best ever. I will have to ask when I go in for my sixth one what they are using on me.

HI, DID TALK WITH MY DOC, AND LOOKED UP THE DIFFERENCE, SO HE USED COILING IN MY, NOT BAD I THINK IT’S BEEN A WEEK NOW AND DOING GOOD, PAIN IS DOWN A LOT, BUT STILL TAKING MEDS FOR THE SWELLING DONT WANT TO MESS UP ANYTHING, THEY JUST KEEP ME EATING UP EVERYTHING BUT AT LEAST THANK GOD I AM ALIVE. GOD BLESS