Did the doctors put you on any restrictions?

Hi, everyone

After talking with others here, and reading a lot of the discussions, it seems that different doctors tell patients differnt things. In fact, the same doctors tell different patients different things! I was wondering if people could tell me what things they were warned against and why?

I'll start:

-avoid blood thinners (Advil, aspirin, Omega-3 supplements) since thinner blood can contribute to a bleed

-avoid getting dehydrated, since dehydrated blood vessels are weaker, and more prone to bleeding

-avoid contact sports, since the bleed causes an injury similar to a concussion, and my son will always be more likely to get concussions

Thanks. You can also mention if there was anything that you were told would help!

Hi Kris. Anytime you can avoid a concussion…would be a good thing…LOL. I have always believed that a doctor is only a technician and can only give opinions. I completely agree with you…these opinions vary a lot!

Nobody told me about omegas. I take a supplement everyday. Hmmm

Hi Kris. I was told not to do anything that raises the blood pressure or my pulse rate. Also, to be carefull of doing anything that puts the head below the heart... because of the blood rushing to the head. I too, was told to stay away from aspirin and other blood thinners as well.

I've learned that excesive heat (hot days and high humidity) is a big no-no for me too. That really messes me up and I have to get in air conditioning for a while, to cool back down again.

HI!

I was told not to do nothing that can raise my blood pressure. Like go to gym,no lifting more then five pounds, not to run also not to take aspirin or any blood thinners too.Not to get constipatedAlso Im trying to stay away from that is in the stores like mall areas affected my eyes, I have to wear sunglasses. Usually i get a lot headaches with that light.

Well thats my journey....I hope this can help you question....I didn't know about the omega-3...

I did not have a bleed, just a seizure in December of 2008 after which they found my AVM by doing a CAT Scan. I was told that increased activity would not affect my AVM. I was told that I could continue to work out and play sports. I had the AVM removed via craniotomy in June of 2009 and in October of 2009 I was back playing flag football and basketball. Like you said, different doctors do different things but that is my story!

The doctor that told me this did not tell another family (that I met through this website). I only found out because my son has food allergies, and we brought all of his vitamins and stuff to the hospital for review by the nutritionist. The Dr. practically yelled at me when he saw the omegas.

Stephanie said:

Nobody told me about omegas. I take a supplement everyday. Hmmm

I'm not a neural patient, so it's a bit different. I have been told to stay away from contact sports, not that it stopped me from skateboarding till my legs got so weak I couldn't do it anymore.

I'm not a diuretic for edema, so it's interesting about the dehydrated comment, but it does make sense. A weaker vein or artery is more likely to tear, the Omega 3 thing, also interesting as it's a treatment for cardiovascular disease.

I'd be curious to see what the rationale about the omega 3s are, because I'm also on Advil for pain...and I take a lot of it.

I had been taking Naproxen 250mg for pain (unrelated) and that was the first thing that went. I have stopped supplementing the Omega’s until I see my doctor. I miss advil. I know that sounds stupid but tylenol doesn’t cut it when it comes to headaches. Heat/cold help sometimes.

I was a very sports kid and same as an adult now. Only thing I was told not to do is life anything heavy over my head, not to play rugby and not to do a bungee jump. Other than that I played every sport out there. I skydive and did judo for years. I am now setting a disability kids judo club! I even deep sea dive was told though only to 30feet max and not below that and I surf.

I probably push myself to the max with extreme sports (think this is as I was given a 40% change to survive surgery at 8years of age for my AVM) but I have never had any issues and I just get advice from doctor before I start anything knew. Hope this helps.

I was a very sports kid and same as an adult now. Only thing I was told not to do is life anything heavy over my head, not to play rugby and not to do a bungee jump. Other than that I played every sport out there. I skydive and did judo for years. I am now setting a disability kids judo club! I even deep sea dive was told though only to 30feet max and not below that and I surf.

I probably push myself to the max with extreme sports (think this is as I was given a 40% change to survive surgery at 8years of age for my AVM) but I have never had any issues and I just get advice from doctor before I start anything knew. Hope this helps.