Day 4 with Dad's AVM

We had an incredible day yesterday; Dad was awake and alert and interactive and it was almost as if we were hanging out in the living room at his house, catching up.

He got to skip speech and swallow therapies since he was doing so well on his own; he’s already sick of jello. We’re so thankful that we’ve been able to engage with him again so quickly!

They found another AVM in the front of his brain during the angiogram this morning; the neurosurgeon is checking it against previous tests to see if they missed it the first time or if it’s a new development. Surgery is the next course of action, but they’re still discussing the best way to go in (through the nose vs. through the top of his brain) and when to do it (likely in a few days). There are risks to his vision with this one, so we’ll see how it goes.

He may be moved out of ICU temporarily so that he can be in a quieter, more private room…and so that my step-mom can take a shower. The security guard thought she looked sketchy last night and woke her up in the middle of the night to make her prove she had a relative in ICU, else be thrown out with her bags. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that she hasn’t showered in four days and it’s quite possible the security guard thought she was homeless. It was rude at the time, but quite comical now.

Isn’t that amazing to hear he is doing better. I feel for your step mom. When i was at the hospital the day my son had his seizure, I was SUPER scary looking! You just don’t care too much, do you when you in that situation and so tired too. I hope all goes well for your dad. Scary to think he will have this next surgery but he has done so well so far.

That’s great to hear. I’m so happy to hear your father is responding so well.

great to hear your dad is doing so well so soon…stay strong

I’m so happy to hear that your dad is responding so well. I can’t believe that they just found another AVM. What rotten luck!

Your poor stepmom must have been so embarassed, but this will be a great family story for years to come! lol