Cyberknife vs Gamma Knife

HI. I’m considering having Cyberknife to remove an unruptured mid-sized AVM that is inoperable. My first surgeon recommended Gammaknife, but perhaps that was because that hospital had that technology. My second opinion prefers CK, thinks I am a super candidate, has excellent equipment with 3-D Angiography and a staff dedicated to the treatment of AVMs with CK–so they are specialized and have done thousands. I wonder what CK offers that GK doesn’t–other than it foregoes the dreaded halo. Does anyone know why one treatment might be better than another?

Thanks,
Libby

Well, I don’'t like my answer, but it is the best one I can offer.

My wife had Proton Beam Radiation, and I have no clue how that fits in the mix.

I did just google “Difference between Cyberknife and Gamma Knife” and came up with multiple sources. I would recommend you pick several of these articles, but prior to reading each article, see who’s website posted it. If it is posted by Acme Hospital, and the article says “Acme hospital uses XX and it is best”, I would discount that opinion.

If the opinion appears to be a neutral organization or medical organization, I would put more stock in that article.

Hope this helps. And if you find a short, good answer, pls post it here–a lot like me are confused.

thanks.

Ron, KS

Ron, KS–Thanks for your idea to google—It just didn’t occur to me, but I will, and I’ll report back any interesting findings. Like your wife, I was offered Proton Beam Radiation Therapy, but my life was good and the AVM was no problem at the time. I just didn’t think it was necessary–and apparently it wasn’t. I hope your wife had excellent results with it . As I age I can feel that things are wearing out and so I’m now open to treatment options, and am just trying to really understand the pro’s and con’s of each treatment for my particular situation.
Libby

Hi Libby, I done some extensive research before I made my mind up on who was going to do what to my brain. I had 4 opinions & talked to many doctor friends including neurologists and emergency surgeons. There was no obvious “which was better” surgery, GK or CK, all were a mixture of answers so I had to make my best educated decision based on my own research and gutt feelings. I choose GK in the end and it was done on 9/14/2010. I went back to the first surgeon that recommended CK and explained why I chose GK vs CK. His reply was “well if I had what you have I would choose CK just because of the less invasive face mask vs halo but the good news is you chose to do something” Doing nothing was not recommended by all my opinions for my case. Time will tell if I made the best decision but I’m still happy I chose what I did. I did write a post on my research findings and two cents worth but some people may disagree. What ever your final decision Libby I wish you the very best results. I’m right here if you or anyone would like to pick my brain about my progress.
Blessings
Brett

Hi Libby,
If you’ve not already done so, here’s a Stanford ink @ http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/cyberknife/stanford_cyberknife.html?gclid=CKO0hJ6cyaUCFQw7gwodNkO9aQ that offers to send you a DVD re: CK. As for the difference between CK and GK?, don’t know, but I’m sure someone there would be happy to explain the difference! From personal experience as a Stanford patient, the neurosurgical team is always accessible! :slight_smile:
Patti

Another link (if you’ve not already researched it!:slight_smile:
http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/neuro/overview.html

Thanks, Patti. I have seen the DVD and read all the informational material–although I can’t help noticing a promotional tone to it. I’m emailing my questions to the docs there, but have not received an answer yet–it’s only been a day.During my consult the chief reason cited was comfort–but then why are so many people getting GK? I guess I’m trying to ferret out the advantages to a technology that is a few years older than its new cousin.

Thanks,
Libby

Patti Gilstrap said:
Hi Libby,
If you've not already done so, here's a Stanford ink @ http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/cyberknife/stanf... that offers to send you a DVD re: CK. As for the difference between CK and GK?, don't know, but I'm sure someone there would be happy to explain the difference! From personal experience as a Stanford patient, the neurosurgical team is always accessible! :)
Patti

Thanks for these links, Patti. I’ll see if there is any general info there.
Libby

Patti Gilstrap said:

Another link (if you’ve not already researched it!:slight_smile:
http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/neuro/overview.html