CTA - CT angiography Any one have one before?

I have been getting MRI’s every 2 years since 1993. I was sorta caught off Gard when instead of ordering a MRI with contrast my dr ordered me to get a ct angiogram. Before then I have never heard of one of those. Are they higher resolution in regards to looking at the vascular structure?

Also the place that my dr normally has me go does not have one. He asked me to find a place. I am a little frustrated. Should I call him and ask him to tell me where he normally has people get the ct angiogram. I want to get it at a place that knows what they are doing because my last mri the dr who looked at the slides marked it negative for a AVM. That would be nice if it were true. I have old slides where you can clearly see the avm. My mom said it was just hard to find because it was so deep.

So my question is has any one had one done and if so where did you get it done. Should I push the dr to tell me where to get it done?

I don’t want them to miss something like a weak spot or a embolism and not know to fix it before it bursts.

Brian,

I’ve had an MRI, a stealth MEI, a CT scan as well as a stealth CT scan and an angiogram. An angiogram is actually considered a surgery, I had mine at the hospital after they admitted me from emergency. From everything I gathered from the doctors the CT angiogram gives them much more of a multidimentional or 3D view. I think your doctor should direct you as to where to get the test done, you shouldn’t have to figure it out. I don’t blame you for being frustrated. Take care.

Hey Brian- The pictures that you get are way cooler than a regular MRI. So if no other reason than that, be excited to get it done! :slight_smile: ck out this older post as well.

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/forum/topics/ct-angio-accuracy

Shalon,

That is very very cool. Kinda freaky but cool. I just called Emory clinic at Emory hospital in georgia. My dr said they will need to life flight me to Emory if I bleed out because no longer the neurosurgeons can live to work out of regional hospitals. So might as well schedule it at the place where all the dr’s who treat avms are :smiley: Im still mad at my dr it might be a good thing that I am scheduling it my self so I can pick what I think is the best place to have it done. I just need to fax my prescription to them tomorrow and schedule the appointment. Do you know if I need to have some one drive me? I don’t think I will unless I have a seizure because of the iv. That has happened to me when they hit a nerve.

Well it scheduled jun 4th I was stunned when they said test will take 15 min. That is a very big improvement over a mri. I hope they do not find any major issues. I sorta have been putting off the test because I did not want to hear the results. I should get the results a week or so after the test.

I wish you the best, Brian. It’s good that it’s so soon. Less time to worry. It might be good to look for a new doc as well. It sounds like you aren’t getting very good care from your current guy.

Well I had it this morning. I have had seizure trigger in the past by like getting my blood taken or something like that. When they were giving me the die I got all warm like normal but then during the test I started feeling like I was going to have a seizure. I kept still and tried mentally to keep it from happening. I did not have the seizure. Thank God. Now I am at work trying to drink lots of water to get the die through my system… BTW it is a very cool machine. I should have the results in a week of so.

Hi Brian,

I’ve had 2 angiograms. The first was whilst my AVM was actually hemoraging. I remember the fluid being flushed up the side of my head and could see it across my eyes like fireworks. I did not understand what was being done to me or what was happening. They did not do an MRI but I have since read that MRI’s do give better imaging but my life was saved nonetheless so I am grateful. The second angio was 2 weeks after the operation and when I asked what the risks were I was told angios can cause strokes so since I had already had one I was terrified. Once again i felt the fluid flush up the side of my head and it was all over quite quickly and no stroke. I hope I never have to have another one. I had mine done at the Alfdred Hospital in Melbourne and they were great.

Im about to get the report faxed to me but it seems that I have tiny malformations across the whole left side of my brain. However the radiologist did not necessarily say it was a defined cluster of vessels in one place. So does this mean I sorta have a AVM? LOL I am going to read it fully and update.

I don’t know what this means but I have a malformation but not a normal full avm? I am going in to see my dr soon. This might be why in 1997 they decided not to operate. Here the impression from the radiologist.

“IMPRESSION: Asymmetric panhemispheric dilatation of the deep left cerebral venous structures.”

So I guess this means that there is not one defined location of the avm but it is a vinus malformation of some sort. Its interesting how the diagnoses changes as technology gets better. From what it sounds like from the other text in the document is that the malformation is spread across the deep left hemispeher of my brain in.

Note im just putting snippets of the report this is interesting.

"HEAD CTA: Asymmetrically dilated medullary venous structures are noted throughout the left cerebral hemisphere; asymmetric dilation of the left sphenoparietal sinus, the superior petrosal sinus, the basal vein of rosenthal, and remaining smaller deep veins are appreciated.

Prominence of converging small veins mimic appearance of developmental venous anomalies, however, appear to be secondary to enlarged venous structures. Enhancing focus at anterior aspect of the left middle cranial fossa appears to related to tortuosity of the left sphenopariental sinus."

But this is the good part of the report:

“Curvilinear densities in the left basal ganglia and left temporal region are noted in the regions of the subsequently described engorged venous structures. Otherwise there is no evidence of abnormal parenchymal density, acute intracranial hemorrhage, extra-axial collection, or midline shift.

Im not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I still have migraines and small seizures. I will know more when I go over it with my dr.

Are there different levels and types of avm’s?

So anyone have any idea if the results are a good thing or bad thing. My dr appointment is not until February.

Brian Hursey said:

I don’t know what this means but I have a malformation but not a normal full avm? I am going in to see my dr soon. This might be why in 1997 they decided not to operate. Here the impression from the radiologist.
“IMPRESSION: Asymmetric panhemispheric dilatation of the deep left cerebral venous structures.”

So I guess this means that there is not one defined location of the avm but it is a vinus malformation of some sort. Its interesting how the diagnoses changes as technology gets better. From what it sounds like from the other text in the document is that the malformation is spread across the deep left hemispeher of my brain in.

Note im just putting snippets of the report this is interesting.

"HEAD CTA: Asymmetrically dilated medullary venous structures are noted throughout the left cerebral hemisphere; asymmetric dilation of the left sphenoparietal sinus, the superior petrosal sinus, the basal vein of rosenthal, and remaining smaller deep veins are appreciated.

Prominence of converging small veins mimic appearance of developmental venous anomalies, however, appear to be secondary to enlarged venous structures. Enhancing focus at anterior aspect of the left middle cranial fossa appears to related to tortuosity of the left sphenopariental sinus."

But this is the good part of the report:

“Curvilinear densities in the left basal ganglia and left temporal region are noted in the regions of the subsequently described engorged venous structures. Otherwise there is no evidence of abnormal parenchymal density, acute intracranial hemorrhage, extra-axial collection, or midline shift.

Im not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I still have migraines and small seizures. I will know more when I go over it with my dr.

Are there different levels and types of avm’s?