Craniotomy

So, having a craniotomy isn’t as bad as I thought, and neither is the vision. I do have a few blind spots towards the left side, and everything still seems very bright…but it’s nothing like the loss they were expecting & I’m very thankful for that! As far as the surgery, it lasted from 7:30am-about 2:55pm I remember them waking me up in the OR, asking me what I could see & I had no idea it was all over! That afternoon, I was fully awake, spending time with my visitors & they couldn’t believe that I had just had brain surgery…that’s how good I felt…not even one headache! I was transferred to the step-down until the next day & started getting up and walking around…getting up as soon as possible does help things progress more quickly! They did have to give me a until of blood during surgery, due to a little bleeding & my blood levels stayed pretty low following the surgery as well. I was discharged Thursday 6/4/09 & I am so glad to be back home in my bed & with my doggies! The worst day I’ve had was probably a couple days ago, when I got too hot…and yes I admit I was trying to do too much,…I am used to being the nurse instead of the patient, after all. I felt like I was going to pass out & I was about to have my mom call the rescue, but after I cooled off, I felt much better. I learned my lesson after that…my blood is still on the low side…I need to take it easy!

My next step is getting these staples out! I have an appointment Weds in Raleigh to have them removed & then I’ll be able to wash my hair, finally!

I want to thank everyone again for your support…it really does mean more to me than I can put into words!

Hi Jennifer. I am so happy to hear this went as well as they did. Do they think the vision loss will be permanent? You really should take it easy. I know it’s hard when you feel like doing so much. Good luck with the staple removal make sure they get them all so you don’t need it done twice like I did. Take care

Oh I’ve counted…so I better hear 43 clicks LOL

so happy to hear all went well…and you are already at home and back at it…glad all the prayers payed off…make sure you get a little rest your body has been through alot…just think of what you would be saying to your patients if they just had brain surgery lol …congratulations on being avm free…best wishes for a happy and healthy life xxxx

You are amazing!! Brain surgery and back home in a couple of days! Still so sorry I didn’t get to you in time in the hospital. Who knew you’d be so remarkable? Very happy that everything went well and that you are now AVM free. And really, I’m discovering that vision is WAAYY over-rated! So who cares if it all doesn’t come back?!

I’m glad to hear that you are doing so well, Jennifer!

Good Jennifer !!!