Craniotomy fear

I had a craniotomy almost exactly 10 years ago (July '05). They doped me up great. It was literally painless. Don't sweat it. A few weeks later, like it'll be like it never even happened

My husband had a craniotomy on March 20th and again on March 23rd of 2003 to remove his AVM.

He said he went in to the OR and they started counting and 12 hours later when they woke him up he asked “when are you going to start?”.

He did not have pain and took a low dosage of Vicodin for minor headaches.

The hardest part of our entire AVM experience was the bleed. The craniotomy was much, much easier and less painful.

I know you will do great. The hardest part is the waiting and you are doing that now!!

Take care,

Kim

My crani was 4 years ago. It was for my aneurysms, not my AVM. (I've had Gamma Knife 4 times for the AVM, which is still active.)

Not eating regularly is one of my migraine triggers, so not eating for nearly 24 hours didn't help things for me. (pre-op fast, surgery, then initial recovery, followed by a meal that was almost physically impossible for me to eat.) Vicodin was my friend for about 3 weeks after surgery.

Maybe a week and a half after surgery, I went to the grocery store (my mom drove) and started cooking again. I overdid it 2 weeks after surgery (the day I had stitches removed). It was the first day of the annual 5 day dog show. Even though I borrowed an electric wheel chair to get around the show site, I did too much that day--helping my husband get 2 of the dogs to the show site & setting up grooming area, going to the neurosurgeon's office, returning to the show site, visiting with friends, shopping, watching the dogs, then going out to dinner that evening. I spent the next day in bed with ice packs on my head. I took it easier & made it through the next few days with minimal pain killers.

Four weeks after surgery, I went to dance class --was totally wiped out, but made it through it. (I was driving again by this point.) 5 weeks after surgery I went to school and started arranging my classroom. Six weeks after surgery, I was in back-to-school meetings. Seven weeks after surgery, I began the new school year right along with all of my fellow teachers. I was tired and forgetful. It took me longer to do paperwork, plan, and grade, but I did it. I spent weekends sleeping a LOT, especially the first 2 months of the school year.

Hey living,

Nice photo btw, I'm a climber/hiker and that glacier looks beautiful!

I had my craniotomy 15 years ago, and I was scared too. I woke up after in an ICU and I was just very nauseous and dizzy. I remember my head spinning, and then puking. I was sort of in and out for the first 3 days. While I was recovering, I could ask the nurse for morphine shots - I asked her once for it and it helped. In a week, I was feeling much better and could sit up and walk around by myself in the hospital (my nurses were unhappy with that). I left the hospital in 2 weeks. I stayed at home and recovered for another 2 weeks or so... and then I started to go biking outside.

I still felt tired for the month, but it didn't really stop me from enjoying cycling in the park, I got into mountain biking and it was great! I have to say, I had a really good and quick recovery.

It has been a while since my craniotomy and I'm doing really well! The whole experience made me realize how great it is to be alive, plus I have some cool titanium bolts in my head that makes for a good story :)

my 11 year old son had one last September. he has the scar the size a horse shoe and only had Panadol as pain relief. (he just had ingrown toenail surgery and I think that has hurt him more!). as for the nerves just breathe,it will be ok.