COVID 19 vs. Allergies?

My wife is HHT, with PAVM.
She has a long list of allergies, and as a result of these, she won’t be able to get the vaccine.
So, not only will COVID 19 kill her, so will the vaccine.
I am beside my self with worries. How do we continue on with our lives knowing this? Do we move to a deserted island. Their is an HHT center for excellence in Milwaukee Wisconsin that we could go to for more information, but that’s a hot spot.
Looking for any information that would help… Thanks

when I got the vaccine, they didnt ask about allergies at all…all they asked is whether you had previously had a reaction to a vaccine, as in anaphylactic shock. I said yes I had before, and they still gave it to me and told me to wait an extra 15 (30 min total) before leaving so the nurses could watch over me. If I had a reaction they would have handled it based on the severity of the symptoms.

So in summary, I wouldn’t avoid getting the shot just because of a long list of allergies, it seems that they may be unrelated. Good luck, I wish you the best.

2 Likes

Hi there. I also have allergies. I have MCAS. I have had embolization to a AVM inside my occipital lobe. I have been taking magnesium with vitamin d. I take montelukast with Zyrtec at bedtime. AVM is a symptom of MCAS-vascular/connective tissue. I noticed others on here have commented about immune/allergy issues. I do know that vitamin deficiencies are BIG in chronic illnesses.

1 Like

Hi Todd,

I’m not pro or anti vaccine. Your body, your choice.

You said your wife won’t be able to get THE vaccine. But there are several COVID 19 vaccines coming on stream. And they are not all exactly the same.

I have a long list of allergies. My doctors advised me against the Pfizer vaccine but gave me the Oxford AstraZenca one instead. I had my first jab two weeks ago. On the fourth day I had a weird rash on my neck which went away on its own after 24 hours. Otherwise I’ve been fine.
I’m not advising any one vaccine over another. This was my personal choice and everybody must consult with their own doctors.
But please, do your own research as to the side effects of each of the different COVID vaccines. There are lots of well respected medical journals with published and peer reviewed trials that you can read in detail for yourself. (ie The Lancet)

With time, different COVID vaccines may become available in your country. One may be more suitable for your wife than what is on offer right now.

The drug companies are constantly working on improving the vaccines, there will be new offerings.

Millions of people (including with allergies) are being vaccinated right now, so any major adverse reactions will be flagged up. We are in effect the guinea pigs. You might feel more reassured after a few more months have passed and you see how it works out for us.

If you decide against any vaccine at all, remember that her risk of catching COVID decreases as you and everyone around her gets vaccinated. (We think-scientists still researching this)

So please don’t move to a deserted island (the WiFi there is probably terrible) There is light at the end of the tunnel even if it looks very dim at the moment. Even if you can’t see the light you have to believe it’s there. There could be a bend in the tunnel. Once you go around the bend you will start to see the light.

2 Likes

Hello alive and kicking,
My wife’s allergies, are to numerous to list on any platform for lack of space.
The result is it effects her breathing, and her o² saturation hovers around 83.
All her AVMs are located in her lungs. She has had a lobectomy, and over 100 pulmonary coiling surgeries. She currently is on oxygen at 4ml - 6ml.
And I was thinking about putting a 5g tower on that deserted island. Lol

1 Like

I’m a GP in the UK giving the Pfizer and AZ vaccines to our patients.
We refer to a publication called the green book
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/961287/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v7_12Feb2021.pdf for information about allergies etc
Essentially everyone can have the AZ unless they have had previous allergy to the AZ first dose or to the individual excipients. They are listed in the book.

I happen to be a medic but I’m on this group as I had a dural AV fistula fixed with 29 coils and lots of neuro superglue at Walton in 2015. Very lucky and no neurological deficit. Information in this group was a great support to me at the time.

4 Likes