Concentration issues

Has anyone had concentration issues post radiation treatment? If so, how have you tackled it?

I did for a few months, then more so due to post radiation brain swelling. I made lists, forgot conversations etc. I still have some issues. My husband is my best help, my best friend. He encourages me, even to cry when I need to. Be patient with yourself!

Hi Heidi
Thank you very much for your comment.
It is now 2 1/2 years post treatment. I am getting a little frustrated and I seem to get no same answers from all the different nuro doctors. I have all the support from my husband and friends, it just that the concentration is a major hurdle still.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a fantastic new year.

Hi Tammy,

For me, the ability to stay focused/concentrate on a specific thing comes and goes. I'm usually ok for the first 2hrs. after I get up in the morning. Then I slowly go down hill until I rest again. Meaning - I have to lay down for a while and "recharge". I have short term memory damage so, I write almost everything of importance down.

My problem started 2 years after GK and it slowly got to the point to where it is now. It peaked out 2 yrs and about 10 months after I received treatment. Like you, I haven't found a good neurologist either. I cope with it by resting a lot and.... making notes and lists of things. I also try to do only one thing at a time. Multi tasking has become very hard for me to do any more. Now, I'm use to it and through trial and error. I learned to adjust to it. I make lists of things I want to get done and/or what stores I need to got to. And... That works for me. I think I should add: I live alone as well.

Ben

Hi Ben

Thank you so much for your post. And, a Merry Christmas to you from sunny Australia.

It is so nice to hear that I am not the only one with these problems. Some doctor, or some one out there must know how we can sort out or improve the concentration and memory. I keep being told there is not enough research or evidence on concentration and memory after radiation treatment. It may take time or it may never improve. They just do not know.

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything on how we can get some improvement.

Hi Tammy,

Merry Christmas to you too. :) I've been told too that there isn't enough research and/or knowledge about the after effects of radiation. I was told the same thing about AVMs too. That they, the medical profession, know very little about them yet.

I'm still researching on what I might be able to do to help my memory problem. I haven't found anything new yet that I haven't already tried. Some days I feel like I have alzheimer's. LOl I know it's nothing to laugh at but, that's how I keep my sanity. :)

Ben