Change in diagnosis?

Hi.

It was back in July that you first told us about your daughter.

I’d have thought that the CT scan would show up an AVM but maybe a “mass” and an AVM look very similar on a CT. An MRI is a much less clear scan, I believe, so is usually supplemented by a contrast angiogram. Birthmarks / hemangiomas look very much the same as an AVM at the surface, so it seems reasonable to me that the doctors deduced the “mass” might be an AVM.

The doc in August will have been using a contrast angiogram with a view to injecting the embolization material in the right place at the right time back then. That he didn’t find an AVM means that there was no apparent flow of blood directly from artery to vein through the mass and he did an angiogram to check properly. This sounds good to me, as it means there’s no risk of rupture from an abnormal flow.

However, it doesn’t explain what the mass was. So… good news about an AVM, I think. The angiogram done in August should be more reliable than the other scans. But I guess you need to find out what the mass was and whether there are any indications from that.

So good luck for this week! I’m definitely here and listening. I’m sure it’ll be a good thing to know what has been found, though I completely understand your trepidation! Let us know how you get on.

Lots of love,

Richard