Can we Drink?

So, the only limitation my doctor said I had is that I can’t drink alcohol because it lowers the seizure threshold. At first I thought it was because I was on keppra but I have been off since February. I have never had a seizure. He told me I shouldn’t have more than one drink! Is this for life? Has anyone else been told the same thing? My AVM was completely removed. I am only 27. I don’t get drunk often but would like the option every once in a while, especially to relieve all the stress since this has happened!

MK, can only tell you what my neurosurgeon said, three months down the track. Drink is okay, to the same levels i had taken before. I have never had a bleed, never had a seizure - no symptoms, no deficits. I have taken two Panadol (your Tylenol, in USA) in the last 4 weeks. I remain on 1000mg of Keppra a day, and will be on that until a year after surgery, as a precaution.
Last Tuesday, for the first time in close on five months, I had what equates to two standard drinks, of Smirnoff Ice. I was a little light headed, but was able to function, at work, the next morning with no ill effect.
My neurosurgeon told me that being AVM free, his only concern was that I should never play contact sport again, ever, but at 51, I think i might accept his advice!
Good luck with finding out your drinking limits.

Hi Mary Kate,
I had my bleed 13 years ago and have been on tegretol since. I was told to never drink again… I think the expression on my face was… because he turned around and said I could have a drink. Well I have a glass of wine every night. I’m not saying you or anyone else should, this has been my decission. We are not surpossed to do a lot of things, our lives have changed. Moderation and common sence.
That is my decission.
Take care
Amanda J

I was told 2 or 3 drinks are OK, I was told alcohol lowers the effects of the epilepsy meds especially the day after.

I know that everyone is different and we should listen to our doctors, but mine has said it’s fine to drink. (I should note that I’ve never been on keppra, never had a seizure, had gamma knife, and still have an AVM in case that matters). I’ve definitely had more than one drink on multiple occasions and haven’t had any issues. It’s funny because some doctors told me that I had to limit certain activities (no running, no lifting anything heavy, no flying, etc.), but my current doctor said that doing these things only increases my chances of having a bleed slightly. I have done all of these activities since my bleed, and I’m still here! There are times that I worry about it, but I wouldn’t be happy if I had to limit what I could do in life.

I have asked my neuro dude a million different times if I could and he has said yes every time. I am on lamictal. I have had a few beers since my surgery, but keep it at 1 or 2. I was also told because the blood flow in my head is different now the alcohol could effect me differently before. I would for sure ask your doc to make sure he is ok with it.

I had several shots of Jose and the next morning I had a gran-mal seizure and was told the next day when I woke up I was told to never drink again. I do have seizures now and my AVM has been completely removed and I take 1,000mg Tegretol and 750mg Depakote. I don’t even attempt to drink, I’m always awake for the beginning of the seizures and no amount of beer, wine or liquor is worth going through that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

i cannot drink they forbidden me since 2006

Nikolaos Papadopoulos said:

i cannot drink they forbidden me since 2006

Hiya, I’m on keppra and clobozam for epilepsy. I’ve just had 2 glasses of wine at some friends. Lovely. I only drink in moderation. Thinking back I was never told NOT to drink, just to not drink much, which isn’t a problem for me. Don’t deprive yourself of the odd glass but be sensible.

flower

If I do drink it’s not much any more. My meds and A DRINK = SLEEP !

I had the same issue, and being British I missed being able to have a drink with my friends after work. I was told when I left the hospital I could never drink again, so I didn’t until I had my check up. So at my check up I asked if I could have a drink and the surgeon, said “what you havent had a drink for 3 months!?”. I know everyone’s case is different, but I would simply recommend a second opinion as the original doctor could just disagree with drinking anyway.

Cheers

Luke

Which famous coach was it that said (and I paraphrase somewhat): “Football isn’t a contact sport – it’s a collision sport. DANCING is a contact sport!” That just came to mind when I read your post. :slight_smile:

Tony Lopez said:

MK, can only tell you what my neurosurgeon said, three months down the track. Drink is okay, to the same levels i had taken before. I have never had a bleed, never had a seizure - no symptoms, no deficits. I have taken two Panadol (your Tylenol, in USA) in the last 4 weeks. I remain on 1000mg of Keppra a day, and will be on that until a year after surgery, as a precaution.
Last Tuesday, for the first time in close on five months, I had what equates to two standard drinks, of Smirnoff Ice. I was a little light headed, but was able to function, at work, the next morning with no ill effect.
My neurosurgeon told me that being AVM free, his only concern was that I should never play contact sport again, ever, but at 51, I think i might accept his advice!
Good luck with finding out your drinking limits.

I’ve been told no alcohol at all, but keep in mind that I am on narcotics to help ease the pain. I think that I’ve had two drinks in the last four years.

I was told that it wasn’t recommended so haven’t, fairly hard for an Irish person:)

Hi Mary Kate,

My husband was 24 when he had his in 1980. before this happened he partied all the time. after, he asked his doctor the same question. his doctor said no.

Mark tried going back to his old life with party friends, but did not drink. it just was not the same. he would keep pushing himself working out. soon it caught up with him. it put him into seizures.

Mark was depressed and angry , than one day he received a call from a group at the church to come and join them for a Bible Study, he didn’t want to go , but he did anyway. that’s where his life changed.
He knew that he had to make some changes to be able to have some stability in his life and to relieve the stress. he had to stop partying with his friends, change some of his friends, have a sticked schedule for going to bed.

He has learned to put it all in God’s hands, do what he knows he needs to do to be seizure free. when he does all that he is able to enjoy life.

Love and God Bless
Mark and Tina

Hi there. My thought is that it is so different for each person. I was told by my neurosurgeon and neurologist that it was fine to drink (this was a month after the crainiotomy!) I wasn’t having anything until then as I though it would interact with the Dilantin. My neurologist said something about Dilantin and alcohol metabolizing the same way?!? I don’t really understand it all, but I trust what she says. I think the only reason it is like this for me is because my recovery is going incredibly well and the avm has been fully removed. For me, being able to have a drink was being able to get my “normal” life back after a month in the hospital. Listen to your body, maybe consult with a pharmacist if you are on meds and just take it easy. Just be aware that it can affect your sleep…