Can AVM patient live long?

Medication for an AVM?

Hi kmatthewva, This is a post from 2012 so many many years old now and since we moved our website older posts have been resurfacing, But from your question, It is more likely to be medicated if you have side affects from your AVM, There are no medications to treat an AVM, Treatment is limited to only a few options which your doctors can detail for you based on your specific type of AVM. Most of us AVM Survivors are taking medication for various things for example I have to take Keppra (This is to prevent seizures, I am at risk but very low risk) Then I take propranolol which regulates my heart rate and blood pressure for headaches, And finally I take 2 co codamol 30/500 in the morning again for the headaches but I am AVM Free now, So these meds are for side affect of having a AVM Rupture and then 2 brain surgeries, A small price to pay for being well and living a happy life with my family :slight_smile: , Take care

Martin

Yes, you can. Focus on living more and less on dying. It’s impossible, I know but positivity can go a long way. Take it from me. I wasted 15 years of my life worrying about dying. Not because of my AVM but because I had an life-threatening allergic reaction.
I had a stroke just before my 51st birthday, coming up on my 5th year bleed anniversary. Look at the stars. Smell the flowers. Listen to nature.
Good luck to you.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I had a headache for what seems like
5 years. The GPs here in Aus didnt seem to beleive me.haha. sometimes i
think i still have it but can no longer tell the difference.

…as a web developer, I hope this site recovers.

Andrea,

Hi. I’m not sure it is a question we can answer. My own opinion is that if you’re experiencing significant issues from your AVM, the only safe thing to do is to go and have a further MRI or similar scan and get good medical advice.

Richard

Hi again kmatthewva, I think we had a small dip in traffic during the platform migration, But its doing fine again now, The new site we have now has much better features than the last and I’m now enjoying it more :slight_smile: , I also work in IT as a software developer and have previously been a systems engineer on the infrastructure side also so a bit of a jack of all trades :slight_smile: . I know exactly what you mean when you mention about you headache and its easy to lose focus, if you have pain every day then it turns into just another day rather than a day that you have a headache on. Take care

Martin

Step one is to calm down. That is what I was told 28 years ago. I ended up having brain surgery. There are some good recommendations in here on how to get medical help.

Step two I was told to find a doctor who could help me and talk. Maybe one of these ideas will help you find a doctor who can talk to you. Them you will bee in the system and can decide on next steps.

I was told to take small steps and don’t try to do everything at once. When I do this, it works well. Of course, sometimes I forget and try to do it all to get it done. When that fails and I calm down, I go back to the small steps.

1 Like

Hi mary, how old are you now? I do have an avm too, diagnosed when i was 28 y.o. i am now 37. I had my first seizure last week of june this year. The doctor recommended for radiation. We need to prepare 300k. .we dont have that savings. My husband is just an ordinary employee of a semicon factory…

1 Like

Closing this thread as the user got the info she needed and has not been seen since 2012 this is when the post was started, If any members wishes to re-ask this, please check out this post, There are some old timers in our community, Have faith live life and don’t worry too much ! :slight_smile: .

Martin.

Hi Mary. Although most people here was to treat their AVMs at all costs I am a little different. My AVM was diagnosed when I was 12 and I am 44 now. It has never been treated and is unruptured. In my time here I have read posts from older people who have either only recently been diagnosed or do not want treatment and therefore do not get involved in treatment discussions. So my advice is that, (i) yes it is possible to live a long and happy life with an AVM, (ii) make the most of every day and (iii) do not undergo treatment unless you are 100% sure you want to (then if you do acquire deficits you are the only one to blame). Best of luck to you.

Lulu

3 Likes