BSS - Brown-Séquard syndrome

Dear community,
Dear friends,

after hernia surgery is completed, the next yearly check will come. They will make the yearly MRT, looking for things, suspects. Only then, if they see something suspected, they make a spinal angio (cause I said: after 5 spinal angios - no more.....).

Last year was the check OK. No signs for new feeders in my spinal cord. So after 2 years, I am positive that all is ok again.

But now, want to ask you all: Who else has the Brown-Sequard Syndrome like me? Right side numb, weak. Left side paralysed.

My question is: WHY (!) is the numb side sometimes weak too. Left side I cannot lift the leg. And if I have weakness in the right leg - its a personal nightmare. Cause then I cannot walk.

Happy that this happens only 1 times / month for short, perhaps some minutes. Have this since the first symptoms, and the neuroradiology told me, its not a proof for new AVM.

Has anybody here same things: That weakness comes and go, without pattern?

Best wishes for you all ! Heads up, we are AVM Survivors!

Michael, your positive attitude is inspiring! Good for you, despite the challenges. I have hemiparesis, but it’s constant. I hadn’t heard of your condition, so I looked it up. It doesn’t mention coming and going, so you may want to follow up with your doctor. If you post a discussion, you may get more responses from our members. Here’s what I read, which can be changed into another language if you like. All the best!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown-S%C3%A9quard_syndrome#

Thank you Tim,
will post this in a discussion board.

And about the Doc: Yes I asked my Prof. for neuroradiology every time. He says: Thats BSS, that is SCI. Everything is possible, good and bad. So ........ looking for the rare case of other BSS ppl.

Wish you all the best Tim!

Hi micheal, I have a avm in L5 region of my spine I’ve had open back surgery and many many angio’s. I also get numbness in both legs that comes and goes the doctors can’t not give an exact reason for this only that the nerves are damaged by lack of blood or some other reason( but not physically damaged) you understand last week I just woke up and Couldn’t even put any weight on my right leg at all. I couldn’t even stand up with my 2 walking sticks I only get this about ones every 6 months and lasts for a maximum of 4 days then the 5th day ill wake up and feel ok again all beit with a stiff leg but back my my usal standard of mobility eveytime this happens I worry that it might be the final swan song for my legs and it will stay like that forever how ever I’ve had an avm for 6 years now and it comes back very strange. I don’t know if this is the same as yours but that’s what I get and know else can explain it.

1 Like