Brother paralysed with Spinal AVM Help!

Hi everyone,

my name is Zahra and i live in Iran. First, i am sorry for my bad English. I live in a small city in Iran and i have a lovely family. my oldest brother is 39 and he has 3 cute and small kids. few months ago my brother couldnt move his neck so he went to a doctor. the doctor told him he should see a doctor in Tehran. he went to Tehran and the doctor told him that he has a spinal AVM and he had to decide to have a surgery or not. he had the surgery two months ago and now he cant move. His body is numb and he cant feel anything. he just can move his left hand hardly.his doctor doesnt say anything because i guess he doesnt have enough time since he is abroad . since we live in a small city we cant find a doctor who can help or guide us about his AVM. i really appreciate all of you to tell me what is going to happen? can he walk again? when can he walk? how can my family and i help him?
thank you so much

Zahra,

Welcome to the site! First, do not apologise for your English, it is as good anyone else and i know zero Farsi!

I am sorry to know your brother is so poorly. It is great that you found us. I hope some of the people in the spinal AVM group will have some positive experience to share with you. I have a brain AVM so cant help you directly. Do read in the spinal section but also in the emotional support section.

I do believe recovery is possible but i also believe it can be very very long.

I’ve moved your post into your own “thread” in the hope that it will stand out better and you might get more response than at the end of a different conversation.

Very best wishes,

Richard

Dear Richard
Thanks for moving my post to my own thread. I check here thousands time every day to find out something useful to help my brother and his young family. I really do appreciate every one to pray for him :´(

Hi I had a spinal avm (T9-T12 laminectomy) removed March 14, 2017. I was experiencing weakness in legs and hips before surgery. When I woke from surgery I couldn’t move at all from the waist down. My left side began working that day but my right side didn’t have real movement for about a week. I was discharged April 7, 2017 using a walker and now I walk with a cane. I have a lot of numbness and loss of feeling in right leg and some loss of feeling in the left.
Tell your brother to work hard to try movimg…to visualize his body responding.
I pray for your brother and your family. It’s difficult. I wish your brother a good outcome.
Sincerely. Joanne

Joanne, it seems you have - like me (after 2 leminectomies, 5 spinal angios) - the brown sequard syndrom. feel free to contact me.

Hello and welcome. My wife, Nahid, is from Iran too (Karadj/Tehran). Yes numbness after sugery can be - and it takes long, very long time to recover. My last laminectomy was 2013. And still see the numbness is going back - perhaps 5 mm / year. Have onother iran FB friend with AVM from tehran, if you want to contact just tell me. The best wishes for your brother and the whole family!

Dear Joanne
Thank you for your care. I am super happy for you. Thanks God you can walk now. My family and i are in a hell. I am a teacher but i keep thinking about my brother as i am teaching tho i feel guilty about it. It has been 3 months that he had the surgery but he has no improvement. he cant eat or move his legs. He has spasm and … . Please pray for him. Many poor people need him.
Thank you again

1 Like

Dear Michael
thank you so much for telling me about the people who can help me on some way. Send my best regard to dear Nahid. Tell him i live in zarand. I would appreciate her if she can talk with me too so i can ask some questions from her. I would love to be in contact with the iranian AVM patient too. They may help me to understand what i should do.
Thanks again for your care

A post was split to a new topic: Help for my Friend